Quick lesson in welding?

So I’ve just about ready to call a scrapyard to come get the carcass of my current parts miata, but before I do I want to cut off the rocker panels and rear quarter panels (part of the unibody). With all the rusty examples out there, no sense letting a set of clean ones get crushed.

I have a welder which I got for this purpose (weldpak 3200), but not sure how to operate it. I have a manual which I’ve read, but I learn better by seeing and would just like someone who knows what they’re doing around the first time I fire it up to ensure that I don’t burn down my garage.

Anyone experienced welders up for giving a quick lesson? Not looking to do anything more complicated than use it to cut off some body panels at this point. Located in Williamsville. PM me if you’re up for it or know someone who might be. Would like to do this today if at all possible.

so… you’re trying to do body work as your first delve into welding?

Nope.

Trying to cut good body panels off of a wreck before it get scrapped.

My project car doesn’t need them. I just want to keep the ones from the wreck for when I or someone else needs them.

Hows does one cut off body panels with a welder?

yeahhhh.

Do you know what a welder does?

just crank up the heat and put the wire speed moderately high, it will burn right through the metal. Be careful with the dripping sludge though.

To be honest though. If you have an air compressor, this is the wrong way to be cutting out body panels. If you have a compressor, go to harbor freight and buy a $10 pneumatic disc grinder.

That’s how.

:picard:

^^^ did you not see his second statement?

To be honest though. If you have an air compressor, this is the wrong way to be cutting out body panels. If you have a compressor, go to harbor freight and buy a $10 pneumatic disc grinder.

:picard:

That is SUCH a shitty way to cut off body panels… its a waste of metal and gas…

are you sure you arent thinking of a plasma cutter?

Oh lord.

I’m in willy and would be happy to give you a quick run down but again are you trying to attach or remove panels?

That might be a better idea, especially because a grinder is relatively straightforward to operate (yeah, yeah, use proper safety equipment, etc)…

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

I still want to learn how to use the welder, though.

to remove I use a 4 1/2" electric grinder with a 1/16 x 6 cut off wheel, works well. The thinner the cut off wheel the smoother and faster the cut will be.

Get a grinder and go at it… what you’re trying to do is not how you use a welder.

yeah, my instructions are kind of a hack. if you are junking the car, take a bunch of scrap metal pieces off of it too. There are lots of websites on the net that have instructions for beginners. The manual that came with your welder should be enough for you to get the weld settings within learning range. Once you start welding, you will understand the controls a bit better. Good luck, try not to get too frustrated.

welding is for sticking 2 pieces of metal together… nothing else…

On my to Harbor Freight for a grinder, some cutoff wheels, and a more substantial face shield now.

Thanks!

make sure the arbor size for the wheel is the same as the grinder. Generally they are 5/8 or 7/8. Make sure you dont buy the wrong size wheel or you’ll be going back