Welding I

Anyone want to take Welding I with me? I think this will fit into my schedule well being wednesday nights 7-10pm.

http://main.wnyric.org/doc/workforc.nsf/9047300a7528ae5185256aa00047fcd1/261356d2af83df3c85256eaf0062eeac?OpenDocument

:frowning: No tengo $300

I would, but cant this time around… Have fun

I would take it with you but from their description it sounds much too basic. You can learn flat arc basics from a book a small bit of practice. Put the 300 towards a welder.

I borrowed my friends MIG and was making decent welds on the mustang chassis in 10 minutes.

I PMed a guy on UBRF about this see below -

Originally Posted by SPEED DETAILS
Hello,
I noticed you took Welding 1&2, + mig and tig at BOCES. What did you think of welding 1 &2? Were they worth taking? Im just concerned that they might not be very in depth. Im debating on taking these classes or just buying a book and a welder and learning myself.

His reply-

i actually just took welding 1 and jumped right to welding 4. welding 1-3 is all stick welding personally i thought it was pretty good to take the class over reading a book. Your on your own most of the time but the teacher would come around and make sure you were doing it right. demonstrations were given. plus you got to work with lots of expensive machinery that did exactly what it should do. in my opinion it is worth it. im actually going to go back to take 2 and 3. they go more in depth into positions and structural information. horizontal and overhead welding.

Sounds interesting, and a skill i wouldl ove to learn but at this point in time i cant afford the class. Real bummer.

So is anyone on here good enough to do some sheet metal welding on my Camaro and not as a practice?

I’d actually be interested in the course but no $300 right now to spare.

if you could find a TIG you could borrow for it i would do it for you and not be practicing.

i would love to take it but i already have class 6-10 on wed.

Yeah, what are you replacing

Why would you TIG sheet metal body panels? They make special powdered metal MIG wire especially for body work and thin gauge steels. I have a 10 lb. spool and it works great on exhaust work. Almost impossible to burn through

because its so much easier to control your heat with a TIG. plus im about 10x better of a TIG welder than i am with a MIG.

sorry i am having trouble believing this. all the heat you would put into a body panel with the time it would take to fill would wreak havoc on that panel and anything surrounding it. MIG is the way to go and if you have the wire jnj is talking about…even better. the less heat and more even penetration you get the better.

i say take the class spence. for 300 to get all that time just practicing is great. and i think they give you all the consumables you need to? in that case i think it is worth it, and if you need more practice with anything call me up and come over to my place.

joe

i know many top rate shops that tig all body panels, and its the way that i do it. You cannot run a 6 in weld, you tack similar to any other work, use small tungsten and run welds about 1 in or so, the work comes out great, and you don;t have to grind.

Well time is money and I guess if you have time then fine. I have 2 friends that own professional body shops and neither of them owns a TIG. With the correct settings and wire the MIG is 10x faster. Plus I would imagine the HAZ is smaller with the MIG

The lower portion of the rear quarter on my Camaro needs replacing and some massaging. Plus some small areas that might need some small patching. Anyone interested PM me and you can check it out.

I was going to replace the rocker panels, but they aren’t that bad as I thought they were.

:word: I did some basic welding at harkness when i went for auto. i liked it.

most use MIG yes, because you’re right, time is money and MIG is alot faster. does that mean you still cant do an equal or better job with a TIG? no. if it was mine i would still take the time and TIG it, but thats just me :gotme:

TIGs are way better at heat control and putting less heat into the metal than a MIG. The problem with MIgs is that they blast a huge sudden voltage where with a TIG you can control lead in and time in. If you did a really slick job of fitment you wont even need filler rod for the tacking(yes I have seen it with my own eyes). Something that cant be said for MIG. HAZ size has nothing to do with the physical size of what you see with your eye. It has to do with the heat gradient of that zone. MIG’s have horribly huge gradients. With a TIG you can at least control it while you are doing it(control doesnt mean knob on the control box). The only reason to use TIG is for 3 reasons.

1:You are the only one doing it and dont have enough hads to hold the panels together and weld.
2: MIGs are cheap and redneckish(which means you can go to sears, lay down 300 bucks and tell all of your friends you can weld).
3: Very fast which is why if you are trying to make money that is the way to go. If you were doing resto work you would be doing tig and oxy brazing.

After designing and co-building 5 complete spaceframes I can also attest to the fact that MIG really isnt that great. Cumbersome, tough to get into tight joint angles, too easily blows through thin wall tubing (0.035 thick).

I have workied with .030 wire MIGs, which are nice but if time isnt an issue then TIG or oxy-braze is the way to go. Then again I am so sick of welding spaceframes(takes forever relative to bonded construction)that next year we are probably gunna do a bonded alum/ carbon chassis.

what you just said in here basically voids your entire argument. yes, that is true. however…a MIG is the complete opposite of this. you can use less heat far easier with a TIG and have a much more controlled penetration. HAZ is also far less. MIG seriously were designed for assembly line manufacturing where speed is the key. they are great for speed welds, their quality is decent, and they are cheap. walk into any shop that welds high structural things, delicate objects, food industry, etc and you will find TIG welders.

what rob woods said too. if you are good (honestly its not even all that hard) you should be able to butt weld the panels with a TIG using very little or no filler rod. ive done so many times on delicate pieces.

oxy braze is actually an excellent method, though few people do it anymore. you can get extremely strong welds and with lower heat than with even a TIG in this situation.

im all signed up for wed nights, still open for anyone interested

When it comes to welding: Audios > Mike125K

X…