Welding School?

Is there any welding schools around here that anyone knows about?
I know ECC offers a coarse in there auto repair for body welding but its only offered in the spring session and I dont know too much about it. Just looking to learn the basics of welding so I can fab up my own shit.

BOCES offers a tig and mig class. I think it cost some money though. Can’t remember how much

BOCES may have an adult program for welding. thats where i got my machinist training.

Thanks heres BOCES info, dont know if I need this much training though

Welding

When you complete this course you will have the skills that you need to secure employment as an entry-level welder/fabricator.
You will learn correct and safe welding/fabricating procedures. We will teach you skills in GMAW (mig), GTAW (tig),
and SMAW (arc welding). Our instructors will use hands on activities and lessons that will allow you to do the work of a welder.
At the end of the program you will take the AWS (American Welding Society) qualification exam.

Course Number: WEL9000
Dates: 9/20/05 - 5/30/06
Day, Time: Tues., Wed., Thurs., 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Fee: $4,200
Hours:400

hmmm im interested in learning welding as well but that seems like it may be a bit overboard…im gonna look into the spring class at ecc if anyone else is interested in signing up

$4,200? holy shit ballz.

buy a used mig welder, have a welder repair shop check it out, cet a load of scrap and go to town

its like riding a bike … at first your gonna “fall down” alot … then after some practice youll be like “oooooh… thats what i gotta do” … after that its pretty easy to weld good enough for the DIY level

Welding I (Arc Welding)

This is an introductory course which covers basic oxy-acetylene and arc welding theory and practice. Course topics include welding principles, nomenclature, set-up, and safety procedures for the beginning phases of arc and oxy-acetylene welding as well as cutting and brazing operations. At the completion of this course, you should be able to set-up, adjust equipment and perform basic welds in the flat position using AC & DCSP with E6012, E6013, and E7024 electrodes.

COURSE NUMBER: WEL1000
Dates: 9/12/05 - 12/12/05
Day, Time: Monday, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Fee: $265
Hours: 36

COURSE NUMBER: WEL1010
Dates: 9/12/05 - 12/12/05
Day, Time: Monday, 7:00 – 10:00 p.m.

COURSE NUMBER: WEL1020
Dates: 9/14/05 - 11/30/05
Day, Time: Wed., 7:00 – 10:00 p.m.

Welding II (Intermediate Arc Welding)

This is an intermediate course in arc welding which deals with welding procedures and their application on structural welded joints. E6011, E6010 and E7018 electrodes will be used, and all welds will be performed in the flat and horizontal position. Topics will include welding and groove joint nomenclature, set-up, electrode usage, open root and structural butt welds with backup bar in flat and horizontal positions. The characteristics of various types of arc welding machines will also be covered. Welded examples will be tested with a destructive bend test. Prerequisite: Welding I.

COURSE NUMBER: WEL2000
Dates: 9/15/05 - 12/15/05
Day, Time: Thurs., 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.

Welding III

In this course you will learn the advanced techniques of structural arc welding. You will perform fillet welds and open root vee groove welds in the Vertical and overhead positions as well as root and backup in vertical and overhead positions. Welding machine set-up procedures will be covered. E7018 electrodes will be used for this course. Prerequisite: Welding I and Welding II

COURSE NUMBER: WEL3000
Dates: Winter 2006

Welding IV (MIG & TIG Welding)

This course deals with Mig (GMAW), Tig (GTAW) and Flux Core Welding. You will perform Tig welds on aluminum, stainless steel and carbon steels, and Mig welds on aluminum and carbon steels. Welds will be performed in the flat, vertical-up and vertical-down positions. Various types of alloys will be discussed along with shielding gases, and current variations. Prerequisite: Welding I.

COURSE NUMBER: WEL4000
Dates: 9/13/05 - 11/29/05
Day, Time: Tues., 6:00 p.m – 9:00 p.m.

http://www.qisi.com/

Quality Inspection Services, Inc.

Classes are:
5 hours a day / 5 days a week / 19.5 weeks

7am-noon
10am-3
5pm-10

Tuition $5500 + Steel Toed Boots

401 William Garter Pkwy.
Buffalo

716-831-1404

Ask for mike.

I would do it in a heartbeat if i could fit it in with my work schedule.

You get certified in just about everything with this one…

fuck paying anything over $500 for classes… Buy your own Tig for $1700 and learn

spencer. give josh or i a call, and you can come down to our place when we are doing frames and i can teach you in less than 3 hours. tig and mig. easy shit. not hard at all. once you know how to do it, you just practice. so get a lil welder after we teach you the basics, go home and practice. and dont bother us anymore :slight_smile:

Holy shit those classes are expensive, come down to my place bring beer & food and I will teach you. Pretty much welding is all about practice. The more you weld the better you will become. All you really need is someone to show you the basics then buy your own machine and practice a lot. I would say forget SMAW (arc) unless you plan on welding heavy duty and/or dirty metals (ie. trailer hitches, plow frames, building & bridge structures, etc). The most common to learn is MIG and it is also the easiest, however it does take practice and most of the skill is setting up the machine to avoid cold welds (lack or penetration to the materials you are fusing). TIG is the next most useful process to learn and will be the most useful in the aftermarket car hobby. The process is all about basics and practice. Great forum to checkout is -> http://www.millermotorsports.com/mboard/

I’m in.

cool. exchange of services :tup:

The ones that are a couple hundred would probably be a good idea just to get familiar with the basics, tools, different methods, welding different materials, rod materials, etc.

The ones that are a few thou are long term courses that are pretty much going to prepare you (and certify you) for a career in welding. So don’t take those unless you plan on making that your profession!

If you’ve never touched a welder before, definitely take an introductory class so you can get the background. I would advise against going and buying a welder and just blindly have at it. You’ll stick 2 pieces of metal together, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it will be a good weld! And a good class will show you things like TIG’ing aluminum which takes some know how and lots of practice to do right.

read my mind.

Dont pay for the training, pay for the welder.

Dont pay for hair cutting training, pay for the scissors and combs.

Dont pay for the Mechanical Engineering degree, pay for the 3D software.

See the trend. Everyone knows how to weld. Not every KNOWS how to weld.

That 4200 bucks is 400 hours of classroom time. A typical 15 week semester with 4-3 credit classes is 180 and costs a very cheap 2000 after books and shit at UB. 4200 bucks for a years worth of education and a license to weld on goverment projects(where the real money is) is cheap. For 4200 bucks you can buy a real welder that will do it all with very high levels of control. Too bad you are going to nickle and dime for fun or for profit compared to the guy that went to school and can do more and make more.

I understand what you’re saying, but it didn’t sound like he is interested in a career in the welding profession. Thus it is silly for him to spend $4k+ on a class thats going to get him certified when he’s not persuing a career, and just wants to be able to do his own stuff.

I had the luxury of taking a welding metallurgy class when I was in college getting my engineering degree, and it taught me how to mig/tig/stick, along with the more technical things such as weld metallurgy, porosity, exotic materials, properties, etc, etc. I can do novice MIG’ing on things like subframe connectors, exhaust, minor body work, etc. If I was in my position now and didn’t know how to weld, but wanted to learn for some light duty things I’d take one of the introductory classes where they teach you how to weld properly, correct rod, shielding gas, amperage, wire feed, etc. But to spend 4 grand to learn structural welding, underwater welding, etc, etc when I’ve already got a profession would be a bit of a waste.

And 4 grand on a welder would be a bit much for the auto hobbiest, when a ~$1200 220V Miller Mig would more than suffice.

All I’m saying is there’s a happy medium between throwing yourself to the sharks and sticking to pieces of metal together incorrecty, vs. spending a large sum of money on professional education and equipment that is far beyond your needs.