Raspberry PI

I finally got my raspberry pi after weeks of searching, I have to say I’m really impressed! I have a few projects I wanna try out, but I think I am primarily gonna use it to run XBMC as a little media center.

Anyone else out there have one as well? :tup:

Mine has been sitting in the box it came in on my desk since Oct. Too many fun winter hobbies this year.

A good friend of mine has XBMC running perfectly on his, streaming 1080p mkv’s no problem.

I prefer Lemon.

I should point out I have no idea what your talking about. Cliffs?

Tiny computer, super cheap, endless automation or other projects.

Got it. Thanks.

I just googled this. I think I may have to get one. I was shocked at how cheap it is

If you do grab one Jam, here’s a few things I would rec if you’re going to run it as a media center:

-Check out Raspbmc, its super easy to install and the latest release is my favorite OS out now (has overclocking functions pre built, easy to build on USB, support for other usb remotes)
-Def grab a USB3.0 stick, any will do. The slot is only usb2.0, but even the cheapest usb3.0 stick will max out your read/write speeds (which can be a bit slow on the SD card, thus creating lag)
-I used to run everything off an SD class 10, but then switched it to a small SD card (just for boot files) and ran everything off a cheap USB3 and it has DRASTICALLY improved speeds
-look into icefilms and 1channel, they are video add ons under xbmc for streaming “free” videos off the net

XBMC in general is just plain awesome! I run it on another Apple TV I have jailbroken…without it the thing would be a freaking piece of junk lol

:tup: I’m getting ready to finally pull mine out of the box so now I know to grab a USB stick instead of an SD card.

Def! You will need an SD card too though, but only for like 50Mb of boot information, any class will work too since it just for initial loading.

Here’s a little video with some helpful info on the procedure, super simple! Once you get it up and running, I have been using the “fast” overclocking profile and its been like butter (just make sure you have a decent power supply if you OC, mines from my nexus 7)

Raspbmc USB install

also, check out the XBMChub fusion online file share. They have all the top repositories you’ll need for XBMC, beats having to keep download and transfer them.

First thing I’ve got to do is get my multiple HTPC XBMC install updated to Frodo.

I’ve been putting it off because my install is a little complex. Besides 4TB of storage spread across several drives/shares I’ve got it running off a MySQL backend so all the library info (watched/unwatched, resume ect) is stored in one place and gets updated from any of the 3 HTPC’s in the house. I also have all the library artwork hosted on the single fileserver. The update from Dharma to Eden didn’t go as smoothly as promised so it’s made me hesitant to jump to Frodo.

So much engineering to watch pirated content lol

I’m going to order a couple of these now.

Yeah, no kidding. To be fair though it’s been a long term, slow progression kind of thing that just kept evolving. Started with binders full of burned copies of Blockbuster online mail order DVD’s, then the Popcorn Hour, then one HTPC, then multiples, then getting them to share data…

It’s kind of a hobby now to see how complicated I can make it on the backend while making it as idiot (read wife) proof as possible on the user side. My 6 year old and my wife can both run it without any input from me.

That’s the perfect quote right there lol.

Right now mine is

HP Proliant Microserver N54

ESXi - Linux VM/Windows Home Server VM

Software Raid in the WHS VM

Currently just playing videos off a PS3 however I need to change that out for a Apple TV or Roku

Hmm I might look get one of these I was on the fence about it…

$45 on amazon prime! That’s a $10 mark up, but you won’t have to wait weeks for one lol

What is this!

Rasbian sucks, Xbian ftw mine runs pretty good.

I am using SMB through network to stream from desktop and 1080p, works pretty good.

Also built a lego case for mine, because I am cheap.

Late to the party but I got one when they started shipping. Sat idle until I turned it into a bitcoin miner.

:lol:

So im doing this - http://www.phonearena.com/news/DIY-enthusiasts-make-their-own-cell-phone-tower-using-a-Raspberry-Pi_id37976

I’m buying this https://www.ettus.com/product/details/UB100-KIT and using it with a raspberry PI