re-format HDD and Halflife 2

yeah, so my machine is running like complete ass lately and I was wanting to format and start clean.

only problem is I have HL2 installed and I “lost” my CD’s so I cant re-install it.

anyone know if I can copy the folders for HL2 and Steam onto another drive, then once I get windows back online, copy back over to the proper folders under program files and manually enter it into the registry? Any advice welcome.

thanks
-steve

edit: or does anyone know how to use the repair counsol to restore windows to it’s origional settings without loosing HL2?

The problem is all the crap any install copies to folders outside the program’s install folders (/windows/system etc). Not to mention all the settings in the registry.

i have dont this before but it could get messy…

do you have your cd key? that will most likely be in your registey. so locate the folders in the registery that are associated to your game and copy them out.

copy all the files fromthe program files folder

and also it woul dbe a good idea to take all the files from your system32 folder… most likely when try to start the program it will look for a dll – which you will have from copying the system32 folder

good luck… try it on another computer first :wink:

either that or dont play half life 2 on a 486

good idea :tup:

I’m gonna give it a try :slight_smile:

halflife 2???

find your cd key… in halflife 1 it was in the registry “regedit”… google and find out where you can get it…

reformat…

download steam… enter cdkey to activate product… download hl2 :slight_smile:

edit: i never had any hl2 cds… only a key that came w/ a video card :stuck_out_tongue:

:word:

heh no shit… didnt know I could do that… :tup: you the man