Vista and HalfLife 1

Okay, I have Vista running…WICKED OS…and I installed steam. I am trying to play Halflife 1 but the video mode OpenGL is not supported. Any cracks or patches out there to bypass this?

Can you use directx or direct3d or whatever they call it?

You have to set it to D3D, which is unfortunate as a few mods require openGL.

This can be set in the settings menu under the video tab in the game.

Tried both, says its unsupported.

What kind of video card are you using?

Xtasy XT 9600 AGP 8X 256MB

Vista 32-bit I’m assuming also?

yes

All I could suggest is download the newest catalyst driver for your video card.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1562

I had HL1 running in the pre-RC versions, so there shouldn’t be a reason why this won’t work.

Disclaimer: I’m not responsible if you computer explodes, catches fire, or some other act of god occurs resulting in a meteor blowing a hole in your computer, blah, blah, blah, etc.

Yeah, the catalyst driver is already loaded…did that first. I may just install XPP as dual boot so I can play…lol

Rather odd as I can’t find any posts on Guru3d, or steampowered about d3d issues.

thats funny, cause I just installed HL1 off the cd :slight_smile: onto my comp cause I wiped out STEAM, and it seems like I’m leaning when I use the A or D command… don’t remember this being the case years ago when I was running it on a shittier rig.

Why are you running Vista on an AGP platform? Upgrade mein!

I was just flipping through the new PC World and they mentioned that as of yet, ATI’s Vista drivers don’t support OpenGL, Nvidia’s are fine though…

Just an update. I installed direct X 9.X on Vista and now I can play the game in 3D mode. OpenGL still does not seem to be supported. I need more memory though. 1GB is just not enough anymore.

cause openGL and direct X are completely separate beings…

direct X should have no affect on opengl

haha oh man, this brings back memories of bad karma and mister ass :lol: I miss undertow and crossfire :frowning: maybe i should reinstall HL1 on my laptop :hmmm:

IB4IshouldhavewaitedforSP1tocomeout

nothing quite like buying an operating system and having to just sit on it until the service pack comes out.

Lets go M$!!

For some reason I have the urge to play SvenCoop now. :slight_smile:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTT!