Realistic Carbon Fiber Vinyl?

6K-5HS weave. I’ll throw it in the truck on monday and bring it to JVG’s for you. Don’t remember where I bought it from. Could have been Ebay for all I remember. I know I used it for the plenum on that “indy motor” mail box I made for my sister years ago. Total lunacy I tell ya! :tongue

The trick with laying it to a roof is to make sure it BONDS to the roof skin. Use a very good structural epoxy, like System 2000 120 min layup time, prep and seal the roof properly. Use the absolute bare minimum of resin, just barely enough to wet it out. Then once it cures, shoot the whole thing with a few coats of PPG or similar quality UV protectant auto clear coat. Most people just scuff the paint and call it a day. That shit won’t last like you said.

Personally if I were to do it I’d lay up the roof and vacuum bag it with multi layers of 6k5hs with some 3K 2x2 on top, then just skin the OE roof and bond the CF skin to the chassis. Or contract me to CNC you a mold for the roof of the car, then you can go vacuum bag ti your face turns blue and make multiple copies. Ha!

I have a piece of the 3M stuff here too

eww

You mean there is a carbon fiber vinyl that gives a 3D effect?? That sounds interesting – I think it’ll be really cool to have fixed on your roof!! I’d certainly like to know more about this vinyl and hope to check it out will definitely try it out in my car too!!

You mean there is a carbon fiber vinyl that gives a 3D effect?? That sounds interesting – I think it’ll be really cool to have fixed on your roof!! I’d certainly like to know more about this vinyl and hope to check it out will definitely try it out in my car too!!

Teh fawk

I got a roll of 2x2 twill Carbon Fibre at my crib… Bought it for my cbr never got around to doing it…

http://www.neffywrap.com/

Jim, we actually just got a roll of some ultra realistic carbon fiber wrap vinyl. It’s meant to wrap just like a full car wrap would. It’s not cheap by any means, but it’s cheaper than the 3M stuff that came out a while back.

here’s a pic from the vendor’s website:

http://beacongraphics.com/supplies/images/cf-slide-01b.jpg

3M di-noc on my laptop (non glossy)

what width and how many yards? What manufacture?(where did you buy it from)

I ran out and need some more for a small part here and don’t feel like placing an order for a few yards.

DI-NOC is good stuff, if you have tight corners get some 3M Primer 94 and do around edges and in valleys so it does not lift. I worked in the sign industry for the last 6+ yrs and that is probably the most realistic looking stuff.

You can clear coat it if you want a glossy finish but the matte finish looks nice to me…

I actually have a 50x70 blanket here

What is it your security blanket? :lol

What weave is it? Sounds like ~2 yds of 50" wide 2x2 twill. Selling?

Manufacturer?(where did you buy it from?)

I got it on ebay. I can sell it if you need some. I was going to try to learn to do some simple wraps. nothing structural, just to make somethin look nice. do you want me to post some pics for ya?

If you don’t want to sell it then it’s cool. I did pick some up from another member here and it should be enough for the prototype I’m doing. I try to avoid buying large quantities of 2x2 twill because I do not do alot of parts in that fabric weave, so when I can jump on a yard or two of it for cheap I do.

If he go that on ebay its probably not even carbon. Its probably like that polyester material they use to make fabric looking shower curtains.

Nah you can get real carbon on ebay, it’s just I prefer using certain manufactures due to fiber count and thickness of the matt itself. Most of the cheaper “per yard” prices are for the real thin stuff, which you need 4-5 layers in the matrix to make a solid part. 2x2 twill isn’t a huge deal for the most part as it’s mostly for cosmetic crap, the blingblang look every ricer boy wets his pants over. This part I’m making isn’t structural so it’s less of a concern on my part. There’s a definitive difference between real carbon and the poly/e-glass reps just by close look and feel alone, so I’d be able to tell by seeing it.

If it’s real and vot sold it cheap I’d buy it for this, ebay brand or not.

i’d love to drop by at some point and see how you do it. i want to learn to wrap panels.
here’s what it looks like. im pretty sure its carbon and not just fiberglass mesh

I’m planning on laying up the part in a couple weeks. I’m going to CNC the mold plug/positive probably next week so I can built the mold/negative and get the tooling gel on it and cured/polished. I can let you know when I’ve going to be doing the actual layup and forming if you wanted to come down for that.