Realty Bros Check in

I’m due for new kitchen appliances very soon and my Wife and I are on the fence about what color to go with and were leaning towards white because that’s what we currently have and like. I didn’t want to go with stainless because of my kids getting finger prints ALL over it all the time but I recently saw the smudge less ones and they are pretty sick. So my question to you guys is this, for resale, do new home buyers pretty much want stainless only? and hate white appliances?? I don’t want to just get something because of resale, but also don’t want to make it an issue in a few years if we do decide to sell. Any insight would be appreciated.

FWIW they make some nice stainless cleaners that help with the fingerprints and smudges…

We have some stainless stuff (fridge/dishwasher etc) and my dauthers all over them constantly and in general its not that bad… Just wipe shit down every so often.

We have a SS fridge and oven and use an industrial SS cleaner about once a week on both and it really seems to help with the nose prints from our dog (not the same as a child, but probably just as messy). The cleaner is expensive, but lasts about 6 months and keeps them looking nice.

Not sure about resale… best to ask Ryan.

The smudgeless stuff is pretty slick. It’s really like a cleared stainless, or faux stainless finish sometimes. Personally, we have a massive stainless fridge, and we just use a little bit of olive oil and cleaner miced up to fend off the finger prints. If you’re buying for resale, try not to white wash unless it really looks good with the current color combo in there. There’s nothing wrong with not going stainless, but I know when my father and I flip houses, we go with stainless. It just sells the higher end look and it really doesn’t cost a lot more nowadays.

Do not buy white Donny. As nice as it looks, stainless will always look better in a buyers eyes. For some reason people think stainless is the end all be all. (They used to use all white 7-10 years ago and the white appliances are starting to look dated).

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve showed homes and they buyers buy a completely different house because the wife hated the kitchen with dated looking appliances. There’s a reason kitchens return about 100% of money invested in upgrades. Kitchens and bathrooms.

We had white in our house and are gradually switching to stainless when something stops working.

Hope this helps.

I read this last year, found it interesting.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/04/white-appliances-challenge-the-supremacy-of-stainless-steel/index.htm

I’d go with Ryan’s advice since I know you probably won’t be in your house long enough to see stainless get played out like that article suggests it might.

also, lolz at Ryan suggesting buying anything BUT bakerian white

Thanks for all of the advice everyone

Odd I know.

All white errything.

Good article, and that’s exactly what I think will happen. I love everything about my house, just need a little bit more living space which is an easy fix with a small addition that I have plenty of room for. I just want to be able to enjoy new appliances rather than buying them just to make the house “sell”

White Ice is siiiiiick

http://illdefinedart.com/2013/09/28/will-white-ice-appliances-dethrone-stainless-steel-as-king-of-the-kitchen/

Apparently GE is going to be releasing a “slate grey” finish soon, that could work very well in my kitchen.

paint your old shit yo

Actually thought about painting some new stuff before I put it in the house. Old stuff is just that, OLD. Need higher efficiency stuff to match the rest of the house, looking for a barely $100 utility bill and I think replacing the stove and fridge just might get me there.

As somebody who’s looking to buy a house I could give a fuck if the appliances were pea soup green or piss yellow as long as they work.

Noted. House is also most likely 2 1/2-3x what your looking to spend…

+rep! hahahaha

We have shitty GE stainless appliances. I dont like GE to start with, so I guess Im a bit biased. But the microwave is a turd. And the fridge, I know its minor, but magnets to hold the kid’s pics dont stick very well, and the compressor is loud. They cant be more than 5 years old. I will def be getting stuff in Darth Vader black when its time.

And probably bigger than I want/need too.

Completely different markets.

The reason the kitchen is so important is because a happy wife is a happy life… And if she likes the kitchen she will want to spend more time in it…Its a win win situation she is out of your hair and you get a good meal to boot…Lol…But seriously stainless with granite counters is the eye candy for women and men when looking at houses it is what everyone looks for… Also lemon pledge cleans stainless great…Bill