Rear end for my LT1

is there anual group buys on the F bod forums for rear ends?

i thought i did too. it ended up being that the tq arm mount snapped off in the front. lol

I have a s60 I got local from Paul at PM. It fit great, way better then any other rear end Ive worked on. Check out the new GMHT, theirs some current rear end info in there.

Says who… the thousands of race cars running 9" rears. There is a reason most big boy race cars 1200+ hp have 9" rears

^About the last 10 guys that have bought rear end’s have got the Dana S60, it’s the hot ticket:smash2:

dana s60 is by far your best bet. It is lighter than the 9" and sucks up less power.

Me and nytrus 1 have actually weighed these rear-ends. not too much of a difference to the stock rear-end. The biggest attribute to the strange dana is that it bolts in with no problem. No fitting issues unless you change things.

I have seen on SEVERAL mosers that you have to adjust things just to fit it in the car and bolt things up.

Wasn’t your car supposed to beat mine 2 years ago? :lol:

Most big boys with 1200+hp cars dont run their cars on the street. They race their cars at tracks and need the added features that a 9" allows, such as fast gear swaps, the ability to repair the rear on a workbench, etc… If you look at the housings that those guys use on their 9" rears in their “drag” cars, THEY DON’T EVEN REMOTELY LOOK LIKE A STOCK 9", they are custom fabbed all the way, and don’t share any parts, and are 10-times beefier than a stock 9 inch.

Kiel needs a rear for his Camaro. Of all of the BOLT-IN setups out there available for Camaros (there aren’t many), the Dana60 is the best choice. It is the strongest bolt-in rear available for an f-body period. I would love to see a Moser 9" for a Camaro go into a 1200rwhp car running a 31 spline posi rear.

Ring gear sizes, 12-bolt 8.75", ford9 9", dana60 9.75"

You can order a Dana60 with 35 spline axles and a true trak posi. You CANNOT with a 9 inch. The biggest axle you can get with the 9 inch/true trak combo for an f-bod is a 31 spline. You must get a locker or a spool with a bolt-in 9" to get the 35 spline option. Here’s a link:
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/performance_parts/index.html?item=145

Here’s another link from some off-roaders, see what they have to say:

http://www.hicks4x4.com/prod05.htm

ive also seen and helped install at least 10 mosers and none of them had a problem what-so-ever. and the new true-trac is beefy as hell, much better than the old eatons.

studderin, didn’t you twist your shafts on your brand new d60? on a “stock” car?

i think a lot of this is magazine hear-say and theory racing. bottom line is, moser is proven to be a great rear end. i stand by my statement, ANY of the suggested rearends will work fine for kiel.

True on your statement Turbo. The big thing I don’t understand though, is that they are all the same price pretty much. Expect to pay around 2200-2400 for a street posi one. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 12-bolt, 9 inch, dana, whatever,… they are all within a hundred bucks or so. Wouldn’t you want the beefiest one out there?

i haven’t broken my rear end yet. s60 with 3.73’s and 4500 clutch dumps at the track. granted i am not making 600hp but roughly 400. i like it. it bolted right in without an issue and thats something that i like.

search tech theres a million threads with good info.

:smiley: Wondering what happened to the 8.5" 10 bolts from the S10’s??? Those were suppose to be the cats ass :roll2:

Ring gear size is not everything. How about pinion offset? Do you even know what that is? Do you know which rearend has the most pinion teeth meshed with the ring gear? Cause I would say the rearend that has the most teeth meshed together spreading the torque load would be the strongest. Do you know which rearend has the thicker ring gear? With your reasoning bigger is better. So why stop at 35 spline axles. Why not move up to 40 spline axles? I think you need to get the facts straight and know what you are talking about instead of sounding like an LS1tech broken record

Yes I know what pinion offset is. Do you know how low a 9" pinion gear engages the ring gear at? It’s the lowest of them all, which is partly why it sucks the most hp to spin it. So much hate in you, something you’re not telling me. Shoot me a pm.

No hate just the facts jack. Pinion offset is how low the 9" engages the ring gear. So yes I know what it is. It is also why the 9" has the most tooth to tooth contact out of them all. Not to mention the pinion is supported in 3 places vs. the Dana60 & 12bolt 2. Do you have any dyno proof of which rearend draws the most or least horsepower/torque or is this all opinion based? You also should realize that putting 35 spline axles in a car that makes say 400 ft.lbs. of torque is complete overkill. Just like the 9" takes more power to turn so do larger axles when you don’t need them.

Again no hate JUST FACTS. Stop being a lemming and think for yourself

I do think for myself, thanks. Answer me these questions though…

What rear-end does FORD put in their light duty trucks, ie: F150+F250?

What rear-end does FORD put in their SUPER DUTY Trucks F350+?

Well you didn’t specify a year so:

2004-2007 F150 - Ford 8.8" rearend, the tried and true Mustang rearend
F250 - mostly Ford 10.25 maybe a Dana 70 here and there
F350-F450 - Dana 80

Don’t really see the point. However those Dana 80’s are very strong and all you need is a plasma cutter and a dream to make one fit in an F-body. However make sure the driveshaft is cut to the proper length
:spank:

Good job JnJ. Nice post.

for some reason, you never learn to shut up. You always like to start things. If I remember correctly, it was you that ran from the challenge. But that was over 2 years ago, grow up and forget the past.

Ran away?

It was “OMG NEXT YEAR PAUL IS GONNA BUILD ME A SICK SETUP WITH A TRUCK REAR END AND BLAH BLAH BLAH im gonna smoke you”

Then your car was a no show…2 years in a row…

:frowning:

Go back to securing the Galleria mall