Rear end for my LT1

Hey guys,

I am looking to replace the crappy stock 10 bolt in my 1997 Z28. It has been starting to make noise, and I really want to start launching the car without worrying about it.

Need something that will hold at least 600 RWHP consistently. So something like a 12 bolt, Dana60, etc.

Just wondering if any of you f-body guys knew of I hook-up to get one for a decent price or not. Let me know…

couldnt you just get one out of the j-yard? or swap a for 9inch in it? there are proly tons of those in the j

Strange 12bolt ftw

You can’t just put any rear-end in an f-body. They need a specific mount for the torque arm. You would need some very good fabrication skills to do a junk yard swap.

All depends on your budget. The hottest ticket would be to install a 9 inch Ford rear end. Strong, light & least expensive. A Dana 60 is also solid but very heavy & too expensive for my taste. A 12 bolt GM is also a great choise but also pretty pricy. Look to the rear of any auto mag & you will see both the 12 bolt & 9 inch being built to your specs, gear ratio, posi/lockers etc. Moser makes a great diff, 12 bolt starting at about 1800 including spool. if you want a posi unit & you will need one for road use, they are extra. They also have a 9 inch starting around 900.00 + 3rd member. check out www.moserengineering.com. I like the 9 inch myself but both are good rearends.

dana 60s are effing hugeeee

I have a Moser 9"… Im very happy with it. I will be ditching the spool this spring however :smiley:

because you have a giant vagina

MOSER 12 bolt in my SS and I love it. Blew up my stock rear end because i didn’t listen to the advice of the people in this thread and rebuilt my stock axle… twice.

I always liked the Ford 9".

I like the idea of being able to swap 3rd members easily,I’d probably have a few made up for different occasions.

im kinda in the same boat, Ive blown through enough 10bolts, this year or the next Ill have to pony up for a real rear end.

D60 sure does sound nice tho

i have a moser 9" love it, w/ locker, but want to get another third member w/ spool. the locker hits hard!!

Moser 12 bolt or Moser 9", both will hold the power easily. 9" will suck up more power, but has the option of fast gear swap w/extra center (3rd member)

Strange Dana S60 is lighter, & takes less hp to drive than a Ford 9". I wouldn’t trust a built 12 bolt. If the S60 was available when I made the upgrade, it’d be a “no brainer”:shrug: Nytrus1 @ pm performance is an authorized dealer, pm me if would like his #.

isnt it 9"<dana<12 bolt in terms of weight?

but i think the danas have less power loss.

any one of them will do you fine. you aren’t going to break one. especially for what kiel uses it for, he won’t have issues with either one.

i’ve been beating the shit out of my moser for years, and not one issue. i may not be launching the car with slicks at the track, but that isn’t to say im easy on it by any means

12 bolt is lightest, but weakest

I thought u broke ur 12 bolt once?

Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

I am not in a huge hurry, but would like to get it in there sometime in the spring. As Turbo said, I don’t take my car to the track that much, its mostly street fun.

But, when I do take it to the track, I want to be able to really give it a good launch to see what kinda times it could really run. Last year I had to baby it off the launch cause my 10 bolt was making noise, and I wanted to make it home. So which rear end would be the best all-around for that kinda use?

My next quest after that will be to try to get some traction. I’m thinking if doing some suspension upgrades. But I am also just thinking to leave the suspension as it is and bring some slicks to the track if I really want to hook up…

Right there, that says to me a 12-bolt isnt going to cut it. They are all the same price, or very close in price. You might as well get the strongest, which is the Dana60. With the 9-inch, yes you can change rear-end gears faster, but honestly, who does this in a street car?