Rear end gear options for the vette

Ok well i love the awsome gas milage i’m getting but the car is a DOG out of the hole. I’m looking to put something a little taller in.

What’s in there now are 2.73’s

What i’m looking at and leaning towards are 3.73’s or as a second option 3.90’s

Looking for some input from other people on what their opinions are. Pricing is the same no matter what i look for. I ahve to buy the entire rear diff. nothing bigger will fit in my stock one.

Put a procharger on it and forget the diff

more power > more gear

3.73’s are probably a good mix of mileage and performance.
Though 3.90 isn’t far away either.

My Mustang had 3.08’s stock and I went up to 3.55. Definate improvement in performance and I still get 26mpg on the highway.

build the car for the power

3.73’s

Is your car auto or did you put the 2.73’s in? I thought all M6’s came with 3.42’s?

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

you can see what rpm at what speed in which gear you will be at. Good to see what you will be redlining in 4th.

And yes it is pretty damn accurate. It is maybe a mph or 2 off from what my car actually does.

:word: yeah all M6’s do have 3.42’s.

I have a Narrowed 9" Ford with 3.55’s and a posi if you’re interested.

Hes got a vette not an fbody

I wouldnt go any higher than 3.73. I went with 3.42 and need to go lower for mph reasons, but anything above 3.73 starts killing your traction in 1st and limiting you in the 1/4. No one wants to use 5th for racing if you have any kind of power.

:word: Agreed. Obviously you will end up building your car down the road, and by then too much gear will just put your launches up in smoke. Id say go 355s or 373s at most. I heart my factory 355s :slight_smile:

3.73’s it’s going to be then … now for the DTE brace … hardened output shafts … and some 2 line tires

yeah, reading up in the C5 vette forum… most M6 dudes seem happy with their 3:73s

man, that’d be awesome :tup:

4:30’s

dont fear the gear

3.73,im sure you’ve got some giant tires on the back of it to take some of it away as it is.

Gears are always the best bang for your buck mod. :tup:

well … while the clutch and flywheel are going in i might as well build up everything else in that area as it has to come out.

Still curious as to why your car has 2.73’s? All manuals had the 3.42 gears.

i think your right … i tried looking around for what the actual gear ratio was in the rear stock and all i kept seeing was the 2.73 …

i’ve been playing with the calculator jeeves gave me seeing where i stand on certain speeds/RPM to see what will work for me.

checking my options now

yeah man, all the autos had 2.73’s but the manuals had 3.42’s. Personally, I loved my stock gears, but if i HAD to change them would have gone with 3.73’s. Don’t really think it’s necessary though.

corvettes are gay…worst car ever