Rear Tire Mounting

Steve’s Custom Cycles (716) 625-4372
6095 Robinson Rd, Lockport, NY 14094

They do all bikes. They are the only guys in the area that can balance buell wheels.

Darren, steves brother, helped start Traxxion Dynamics and can rebuild any shock you give him. He was also on crew for Buell in AMA and a Suzuki team in a smaller class.

Check them out for tires they have some good prices.

To the OP, where did you end up going and how did it go? I’m looking to get this done as well, but also don’t have a stand. So I’m thinking about taking the bike in to get it done. If it’s really that much cheaper by taking the tire off myself, I’ll see about borrowing a stand.

i was just at steves custom cycles today.
$30 if you bring them the rim $60 if you bring your bike. Thats PER wheel.

I decided to take the wheels off myself just to learn how.

Taking wheels off is super easy. It’s a good thing to know how to do.

When you take them the wheel you leave the rotor on and take the sprocket/other side off right?

^ yes you take off the sprocket and the carrier. Also there are usually 5 or 6 small rubber parts that make up the cush drive. Take those out. Your bearing spacers will fall out when you remove the axle, or you can pull them out if they have dust grommets on them keeping them on the wheel. Keep the order of the spacers straight. I usually just reinstall the axle with all pieces in place so everything stays where it should. If you do mess them up though don’t guess just look up the parts fitche for your bike and you can usually discern which spacer goes on what side.

Jackstands will work in a pinch for the rear. But they usually get in the way somewhat and you have to be careful and/or support the bike with some straps to garage beams. I’ve also just used 4 ratchet straps in the garage to lift the bikes for both wheels.

Stands are so cheap now, they’re well worth the increased safety. And once you have a set you’ll wonder what you did without them. gl