Report: GM may buy BMW engines

I was answering Fry - in which he asked if there were any motors with a “more efficient design” than GM’s, and one could argue that a greater HP/liter is one way of describing efficiency.

It isn’t the only way - and I do drive a “big” LS1, BTW. But I’d argue that alot happens with gearing, tuning, etc. and you could probably do alot with the BMW 4.0 in many Cadillacs that could still wind up bumping MPG significantly over the Northstar. Besides, GM went from the LT1 & LT4 through the LS1/LS6/LS2/LS7/LS3&LS9 over the same time period as the Northstar (intro in 1992 w/ the Allante), so I’d say that a redesign is way past due. And given the small volume and high cost of redesigning a high-HP V8, GM in its current CAFE-restricted state may opt to buy rather than develop new.

In any case, I DON’T see this motor in many other GM apps. Especially given the popularity and strength of the current LS-series motors, which will do just fine. It’s where you see bench-racers still talking “overhead cams” in terms of the luxury-oriented group (aka Cadillac’s targeted audience) that the LS-series motors may not cut the “prestige mustard”.