Reviewing the $13 obd2 scanner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160881093493?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I bought one of these on ebay a few weeks back. I have been playing with it. Shut off a code in the wifes car, which ended up to be an evap code. I had to replace the gas cap also.

There are a ton of apps for android that work with this device. The one I like best is called Torque. It basically does datalogging, and stuff very similar to what a $2500 snap on machine does. With a big screen, this would be real nice (maybe an android tablet)

It works wirelessly over bluetooth using your android cell phone. Most of the apps are free, some are like 5 bucks for a pro version. I didn’t have a need for a pro version.

At the very least it beats paying someone to read a code for you, or riding up to autozone to let one of the parts jockeys do it for you.

13 bucks.

any idea if this will work with an iphone?
i see a similar one that says it does:

^^^I would be interested in that as well if anyone has input.

I use the Android version of torque all the time. It’s still generic, but is awesome for readiness monitor drives.

I have a cheap on now but the idea of having it connect to my phone via BT sold me. Sent the link to my wife as an xmas idea. :slight_smile:

They do not work on iOS due to BT stack limitations inbuilt to the OS.

IIRC someone got this to work with a jail broken device, a full BT stack, and some sort of tweak. You need a WiFi OBD II module for use with iOS. You can get them ‘inexpensively’, but still considerably more costly than the ELM 327’s.

So you’re saying this wouldn’t work with an iphone? Sorry I just am a noob with this tech stuff. Everything in the listing that BadnewsMike posted indicates that it would.

The WiFi units will, not the Bluetooth.

Bought the same one, using it with torque.

I have the same one as well, using it with torque, great little device, tons of capabilities with torque as well.

call me when it gets abs and srs capability

considering how often those protocols change, don’t hold your breath. OBD2 is here for a while

Lets compare a $13 consumer product to something that costs $2000+ that a shop would own lol

OBD3 is already out.

Correct, but unless they are fggts like Sony, it will have to be backwards compatible.

heh, I’m just saying we already have cheap scan tools. I need cheap communication with more #firstworldproblems

It’s kinda surprising nobody has written a open source tool.

However I think each car companies ABS/whatever is proprietary and not standardized like OBDII

My dick would be just as hard, $3-400 options with truck branded tools right now is the best for basic abs so far