Rust hole, whats my best course of action?

I took the wing off of the Evo to flx the clear coat peeling on it, and the tiny rust bubble that was on the trunk turnout to be a hole through the outer layer of the trunk :banghead:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3227/2716043043_9ce1bc4a34_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2716855514_99aaf0d2b5_o.jpg

Its the only rust on the entire car, so I want to make sure I fix it right. A CF trunk would be the coolest solution for me, but its really not in the budget right now, and it only saves like 8 pounds or something, so it doesn’t justify the 500+ dollars.

What should I look into doing here, does anyone on the site fix stuff like this? I assume it needs to be cut out and a new piece welded in, that is sketchy work to get it done right!

Opinions please!!

–mark

that’s how I know you’re gay.

jeeez what year is that, thats pretty shitty its rusting already.

Well, I am certain its because the wing was rubbing on it, it didn’t rust from the elements or anything like that!

This could be the biggest longshot ever, but Aaron was telling me about some 10 year body warranty against stuff like this, and the clear on the wing coming off, etc… Maybe I could buddy buddy with a dealer to replace the trunk since it shouldn’t have rusted through like this unless there was some sort of defect?

do they allow evo drivers to buddy buddy w/dealers?

I just got this quote from a “is it a lemon” website:

Every 2003 Mitsubishi comes with a 3-year/36,000-mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty, a 5-year/60,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, and a 7-year/100,000-mile Anti-Corrosion/Perforation Limited Warranty

Its in that 7 year, 100k mile period, but I am not the original owner, so I don’t know how that will work out.

It’s hard to tell in the picture if it’s completely hidden buy the wing or not. I would consider cutting around the rot, and using a 3M Panel bonding adhesive to patch a small piece from underneath. Paint it with a brush (if you can’t see it anyway) from the top to protect it, and be done.

I used this procedure to fill the holes in the truck lid of my 1992 mustang convertible after removing the luggage rack. Because you’ll be bonding it to the bottom there is a small void, which smoothed the small area with filler. The repair has last for more than 7 years already. I just saw the car the other day and it still looks good.

The MMM stuff can be found here: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Product-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQCEK3_nid=GSNPLCPK5Bbe6DTWTJQPBBgl

Good luck :tup:

Give it a shot it can’t hurt, raise hell so people in the sales area can hear you if they don’t. :slight_smile:

Yeah start with the dealership. There’s at least a shot at getting a new deck lid out of them. If that fails then POR-15 that shit.

buy a new trunk

!!! I just got off the phone with Mitsubishi US. I am covered under the 7 year/ 100k mile body warranty! I am going to the dealer this week!!

–mark

:clap:

Update with the final outcome, how cooperative the dealer was, whether they half assed it or replaced the the trunk lid, etc. :tup:

yeah factory warranty transfers with the car

Other than the chrylser lifetime powertrain which dies when the first customer sells it.

Good deal.

Cortese used to be real good with us back in the day when Jim ran the show, glad to see it’s still working out over there.

good deal that they are covering it :tup:

I talked to the dealer on the phone. He told me “the spot on the trunk from the wing huh, yeah, we see that all the time, that won’t be a problem”. I also talked to him about the clear coat peel and he told me they would most likely cover it, but if not, they would cut me a deal to get it all fixed at once. I will probably do that myself anyways, but its nice to see them be helpful on the phone, and not just turn me away instantly.

TBH that’s 100% surprising… in buffalo. The Mitsu dealer out in Roch is allegedly much more reasonable and mild mannered.:tup: