S15 six speed

it’s probably been asked before, but the search comes up with anything with the word speed in it, so it’s hard to sift thru.

people have been saying that they’re bad transmissions. why is that? is it because they cannot hold up to any power? are they poor gear ratios? i just don’t understand the hate if noone says anything other than the six speed sucks.

i’ve been dreaming of the six speed since i’ve wanted a nissan. what makes it so different than the current six speeds in the 350Zs?

I don’t know whether this is true or not, but the argumant I’ve heard is that the six speed is the same physical size as the five speed. One extra gear in the box means smaller (and usually weaker) gears.

I thaught the 5th gear was the 1:1 in the 6 speed?

I got a friend in Ausie that takes the 6 speeds out of his S15’s and throws in a S13 tranie because they can take more power??? Maby its just less parts to fix but I can see if the tranie has to hold another gear that Nissan would have to make smaller parts to make it fit because the housings were the same size. I dont know about any of this but I will have to phone him up today and ask him why. I woud like to know too, a 6 speed would be pretty cool to have. I wanted one in my convertible when I first got it and always just herd the same thing as you “6 speeds suck”. But ya I wil post up when I get ahold of him. I am positave that he will know!!!

thanks for the info!

if 5th is truely the 1:1 gear, then i’m hoping sixth is somewhat more manageable than 5th in a silvia at highway speed.

if the tranny is weak, does anyone know it’s limit? is it 300hp? 350HP? i dont plan on making too much power.

Mike,

From what I gather, the 6 speed is good to about 400whp. The 6 speed is physically pretty much the same size as the s13/14 transmissions, so yes, they do have to cram more gears into the same box.

The 6 speed actually will rev higher than a comparable 5 speed as my 6 speed on an s14 diff did 3000+rpm on 6th gear as opposed to the 2600ish it’s supposed to be doing with the 5 speed.

With your CA18 4.3 diff, you will be doing well over 3000, and more in the 3200+ range doing 100kmh. You will be doing some crazy shifting with that transmission. Keep in mind that the S15 diff is 3.69.

On a side note, 5th is definitely not 1:1 on the 5 speed.

In the end, the 6 speed is good if you have the s15 diff and you are making moderate power levels. So a good street setup will work well for the 6 speed.

Oh yeah, are you still moving to Calgary?

sorry for the confusion i meant is 5th on the six speed 1:1?

i actually have the time to go to calgary and look for a job right now. i should start my apprenticeship hours there and go on for the next 4 years there.

I have alway been under the inpression that the gears in the CA tranny are shorter than the ones in the SR/KA tranny hence why the RPM’S are higher on the highway. You could try finding a KA or SR tranny and swapping that in.

I have alway been under the inpression that the gears in the CA tranny are shorter than the ones in the SR/KA tranny hence why the RPM’S are higher on the highway. You could try finding a KA or SR tranny and swapping that in.[/quote]

that’s also an option. people who buy the CA longblock and swap them onto their KA trannies like them as long as they have the 4.36 FD. i was just looking at the feasibility of this 6 speed idea. i noticed one for sale, that’s why. :smiley: