scratch your head at this.

ok last week I had my Sisters IS300 at my house origianal problem was alternater only putting out 20 amps Peek.
well I figured I would be working on it I would replace the timingbelt/H2O pump. Thats all done. including the new alt.

today they call me its died in there driveway. so they jump it and notice the lights where left on, but think nothing of it they jump in and start driving it it makes it 4 blocks and dies again.
My brother-inlaw distracted by who knows what, puts the jump box on backwards (only for a sec) corrects it and it starts But goes to drive it and it wont do anything.

wont shift out of Park, wont roll up/down windows, wont lock/unlock, no lights , no radio, only the hazards work
But It is running.

when I get there its overheating (becouse the elctric fains arnt kicking on) and the positive Battery termanal is melted (all the lead is melted around battery conector)

So what should I be looking for… did the alt spike and pop relays/ fuses? if I repace them will it do it again? ,abye I pinched a wire putting the car back together and it grounding out?

if it was the box being on backwards that poped somthing, what caused the car to die?

is this the same brother-in-law that tried driving with the jump box under the hood?

NEVER let that guy touch any car’s engine again.
NEVER let that guy anywhere near a jump box. WTF.

As for your situation. It could be so many things. I’d start at the fuses. Also pull off the positive cable and test resistance to the chassis. If it’s low, you know that you have a short.

yep, Funny the guys real smart when it comes to computers. and books. just not so good with cars.

I did notice a fusable link melted labeled ALT in the fuse box. figure Ill try to replace that first (get a spare so when I melt it again), and then test stuff.

Jeezus. He reversed the polarity on the battery… it then shorted. You can take it and toss it in the dumpster. He might have destroyed the alternator too. You have to do a bunch of tests to check.

but I can turn the car off, and start it back up, on just the “Junk” Battary and it runs fine just no Electrical.

he shorted out something in the ecu i bet. i had a co worker at sears do this melted 4 ground wires and the ecu

i blew an ecu that way. guy i got the car from had the wrong color terminals on the wires that go to the battery. i realized that when one of the fusable links melted. its was too late, ecu was fried.

good luck man

My friend did this on his ranger…battery held out fine for alil while. All he did was fry a fuseable link hidden up under the dash, look for that if your hitting 12 volts. Then check all your fuses and grounds.

yep time to start testing shit lol somthings blown , hopefully not the ecu

well 2 fusible links, 4 fuses later and it runs fine.

my broother in-law is blaming it on me saying I must not have tightened down the Terminal on the battery, thats why everything happend A$$ see If I ever work on his car again.

HaHa. A loose battery terminal would never cause those problems. At least thats one car you won’t have to see again lol.

Did you at least confiscate his jump box?

I should but I didn’t, and I dont care if anything goes wrong now Im walking away.

:tup:

No good deed goes unpunished.

you should of smashed the jump box!