seagate barracuda hdd problems

well i bought a computer from MKE about a month ago, and finally got around to reformatting it today, everything was going great, i was doing it like he told me to, and i installed all the windows updates

i reset it like i was prompted and get an error message when rebooting stating an error with no hdd found (then an error about cable not connected)

after reading alot it seems that these hdd fail alot and most people consider them junk

so now i guess i am in the market for a new hard drive for my desk top, i would like something similar in perfomance and size (500gig) and would like any help i can get, also would i just get the new hard drive, unplug the old one and just plug the new one and format it (and load vista?)

any help is appreciated

thanks

Yea. Hard drives are cheap now so you can find a lot of choices that all are good.

Are you just looking for a basic one to use in a home PC or looking for a high performance one?

If you have the ability to, get a SATA one. Once you get one, just plug the new one and and boot from the CDROM. Once you do find a new one, you can put the old one back in and another connector and see if it shows up. It might not be fully dead and you can test it once you install windows on a drive.

thanks for the advice, just sucks that i have no idea what im doing really, mke sent me a pm and said he will help me out with it

could simply be the cable or loose power connection too. Seagate is usually a good name. I usually go Western Digital however…then again I haven’t messed with computers in awhile.

Also check the BIOS on startup…my computer has started acting up and I was getting similar errors. What it turned out to be is that my BIOS was selecting USB Drive as the primary HD, and not my SATA or IDE.

Just worth a shot to double check that!

how would i go about doing that, i checked the boot order and it said no hdd was found

i also double checked the hdd and it was plugged in

ok yeah it would be listed in the boot order screen if it was reading at all