Secure Digital Card Speeds

Quick question on secure dugital media. I have a canon SD400 camera…I currently have a 2GB SD card which when I try to save video on…it gives me a write error…I think the card is fucked up because I bought it on ebay. It saves pics just fine but video that is 3 minutes+ it fails. Best Buy has a deal right now on a PNY card. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7387017&st=2gb+sd&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1124432966022

My question is…what determines how long the video can be? The write speed of the card? I have a generic 1GB card and it saves 3+ minute vids no prob…I wonder if there is anything I should know before I buy this…no specs listed…not even on PNY’s website. TIA.

The size of the card and the quality of the video. So unless you screw with the video settings to lower the quality, a bigger card is the only way to take a longer movie. So with all the settings the same on the same camera, your empty 2GB should hold twice the video as your empty 1GB card.

Yes, I know. I guess my question is does it matter on the speed of the card whether you can shoot a 5 minute movie or not? I am referring to sequetial read/write…does it matter?

Eh, wait for someone who knows for sure to step in but I’d be stunned if your camera can write faster than the card can take it.

yeah, you may be right. I think I will buy the card…try it out and if it doesnt work like I expect it to…I can always return it :wink: The camera at 30fps wites at 20mbps or very close to this…and the longer the movie…the longer it takes to write…know what I mean?

are you talking about with the camera… what determines how long of a video you can take?

thats the buffer of the camera

A bit of reading, here in particular:

Is suggesting that you better check your camera specs. See what SD spec it meets (1.01 is most common at a max write speed of 66x but there is also the 1.1 spec at 133x and some cards can write as high as 150x) and check and see if your camera even supports a 2GB card. It might not…

definately supports 2gb because I currently have a 2gb sandisk card.