Server Names

use useful names for servers, so that people know what they are logging into based on the name. Something like what the person above put is good, lnx-sqldb, something along those lines. It leaves less gray area between a name and description. It is nice when a name can lead to a description of what the server does.

workstations can use goofy names. Put a label on the machine with its name. Then if a help desk worker or admin needs to remote into it, they can just ask the user what the name on the label is.

Any large organization will be the same way

Phone extension and department work well together…

meh, it is personal preference. I prefer my way, you prefer yours.

Honestly there is a right way and wrong way…we are probably both wrong…

If its a windows environment why not just name them whatever and use OU’s to track location? or department?

haha werd

I don’t manage windows servers

Not pure windows. Some applications rely on servers that are not part of the windows domain.

As for naming, we are going with fun names because the company is not picky with names since its only one building.

We are going with Disney Movies for the servers and then the character names for the work stations I think. The customer that contracted myself and my friend for this were pretty excited about that idea.

ummm yea, ours are all marvel characters lol(punisher, galactus etc…)

thanks to some nyspeed members i’m told

Doesn’t stop you from using open directory or something…

yeah, that is true, but not worth it for us. Our current system is working well and I really don’t see any reason to change it.

for each their own…

i have both running on this site. a few pure linux servers that have massive storage arrays that handle only database and storage processing and some windows servers that run what they need to.

saying you should use windows only or linux only is like saying you only should program in visual basic, not PHP or C++. both have a purpose. the people who can use them for that purpose are the ones that are successful and cost efficient.

I am a sys admin for a specific software package/system that is deployed at many sites. I manage all the servers that the system runs on. Since it runs on linux boxes(as per manufacturer specs), that is what I manage. There are many components, and some components run on other oses, but they are all unix/linux boxes.

So I never said, one should only use linux, just that all of my team’s servers are linux boxes.