Sirius antenna question.

Anyone ever cut to the cord on a sirius antenna (Alpine would be nice :wink: ) to see what’s inside? I’m looking to get an OEM VW “sharkfin” antenna for my passat, to work as the sirius and FM antenna for my Aftermarket Alpine head unit. I’m guessing it’s possible, thinking it might even be a matter of mounting it and splicing a few wires, but until I cut up the Antenna that came with the headunit I won’t know.

x…

is that OEM one known to be able to recieve sat. signals? if not, i wouldnt count on it working.

Yeah duh :smash2: (I’m not that stupid)

X… :slight_smile:

the antenna is only two wires inside, I had cut mine for other reasons. No signal loss after i put it back together

Thanks!!!

X…

all vw antenna’s are amplified BTW

for passats

my bad :frowning:

It’s a simple coax wire, just a really really small one, if you splice back together well enough you should be fine.

This is Supry btw, jay left his name on, I’m smart, he’s stupid

supry you ever tired to repair those DSR antennas? Its not exactly like hardwiring a deck. Maybe im just a retard but i have never had a pintched or cut XM or Siruis antenna work after repairing it. N to mention is was a pain in the balls to soilder back together.

slicing the Sirrius antenna wire is risky. i wouldnt do it.

I think its a small copper coax with a wire mesh ground surrounding it. Not easy to patch… but i am not sure.

No I have not tried to fix one, but I do know people who have, and have had good and bad results. Theoritcally(sp?) it should work. Also, I can do more than just hardwire a deck, just cause I work at CC doesn’t mean I’m an idiot.

i’ve had to repair one before, and it still worked fine. not saying every situation will have the same results tho :wink:

i have repaired many of them with good results if you take your time. but as for trying the stock vw i dont know if it will do what you hope but let me know if it does.