Sirius Sporster 5 Radio issues: Low volume

I just don’t get this.

I have my Sirius Sportster 5 hooked up to my car (02 Jetta) via wireless fm modulator antenna and plugged into the Cigarette lighter. The volume is all the way up on the Sportster unit, and it is still not very loud coming through the car speakers even with the volume on max on my stock headunit. If I play a CD, the audio sounds great, loud etc.

What are my options here? The stock deck doesn’t have an aux port for direct connection. Replacing the stock double DIN deck with an aftermarket deck doesn’t appear to be too simple. (Appears to be wire harness issues with these Jettas).

I also don’t think I have the Monsoon system if that makes any difference.

Appreciate any advice, I NEED my sat radio!

:ahh

Question hw much do you pay for sat radio?

Also are you picking up the signal by setting the radio to some FM station?

And the decks shouldnt be hard to swap just buy a harness and install. thats what i did with my buddies 02 Jetta.

Sounds like you need a wired FM modulator

1. $12/month
  2. Yes, wireless FM modulator to a station.
  3. I’ve heard it’s a pain. Crutchfield has no compatible harnesses.

I have one at my house, but no aux port on the stock unit.

wired fm modulators don’t need aux imports, they wire in through the antenna port, but u will need 2 antenna adaptors that i might still have sitting around my house so i could give a look for you. what year is the jetta?

The ones i used to use for overhead DVD systems used a box that the foctory antenna plugged into and then that box plugged into the factory antenna location

http://m.crutchfield.com/mt/www.crutchfield.com/p_142FMMOD02/Scosche-FM-MOD02.html?tp=1701

Oh. I’m dumb. It’s an 02 TDI

I think you need special tools to pull these gay headunits too.

This is what I have E:

Just plug your source into the FM-MOD02’s auxiliary input or RCA inputs, then tune your FM radio to the selected frequency.
I could be dumb, but isn’t this what I’m doing now.

I still don’t follow how plugging it in directly would allow the volume to be louder.

From the sounds of it, you have a wireless FM mod, with a wired one it “taps” into your antenna for a more powerful connection

headunit is easy to pull, i have the tools for vw and audis, pm me and i’ll pull it for you. it takes 10 seconds

^ Thanks. Still need to figure out what adapter I need to plug into the back of the unit. (Antenna).

Does this mean I no longer need the small antenna the unit comes with at all? (That sits on the exterior of the car) ?

Did some more research, looks like I need THIS too!?

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/bmw-european-fm-antenna-adapter-roof-ant

:frowning:

So, with this and the wired FM modulator, I’m at almost $100 bucks to get better audio sound. Wonder if I should just put the JVC deck in I have and run it off Aux…

Might be easier. Maybe your fm mod went bad and is putting out a weak signal?

I honestly have no idea. I don’t remember it being this bad though as I had this installed in a 1.8T Jetta a couple years ago without issue.

See if you can get one at a place with a good return policy and test it out(a new wireless fm mod)

Are you talking about the wired FM mod above? I havn’t installed that yet. I’m just running off the antenna currently.

Are you using the “fm direct Adapter” pictured above or just using the units built in wireless fm modulator?

Currently just the bolded, I do have the wired modulator sitting at my house waiting to install. I apparently need some special connector for the antenna though.

I did locate this as well:

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/ENFIG_VW_SIRIUS_3.html

Not sure if it would help.