satllite radio?

i was considering getting it… nothing good left on the radio… i used to listen to bob and tom or howard stern in the morning, 69.9 is gone and howard is leaving… anyone got reccommendations of which one to get? sirius, xm??

With the FM hookup with Sirius and xm, is it about radio quality or is it any better?

I was hoping to get it so I could carry it along when on trips in other cars and maybe in my office… but I also the befits of having the direct hookup thing…

Is there anyway to hook the mobile thing up to radio in my car?? Or would I need a new head unit… and I know they got head units you can plug Ur mp3 player into… is it possible to get a head unit with like a audio jack I can plug the player into for a direct connection instead of using the antenna… that is if the fm hookup isnt that good…

and last but not least, do both of these get good signal around town?? and will they work in buildings here?

sirius

I have XM, and I love it. Right now I just run it through the FM modulator, and the quality is better than radio because of a stronger signal. You get the occasional fuzz, but it’s not bad.

You can get a direct connect kit.

Look through both station listings and see which one offers more of what you want to hear. I listen to Fungus and Boneyard constantly.

i love AC/DC and anything AC/DC like, and thats about it :boink

soo far i think i’m leaning to sirius… but i’m not 100% sure yet

I have Sirius and also bought it for Beth’s car for xmas. I have been running it for going on 2 years and I will have it in every car that I own from now till I die. If your into hard rock & alternative it is the one and only way to go.

Ok I Delt with Every combination possible here.
I have XM (myfi) and i listened to it for a while and i decided i dident want to pay the 13 a month for it anymore because i am poor

I bought my dad sirius (S50) for xmas its the portable unit But it does not have live Feed (meaning off the dock its like a mp3 player)
lately people have been going to sirius more than xm like 10 to 1 avg.
If u want the best sound u can get go with a direct tuner w/ out a doubt with either company, u can always Stream it online for free if you have the service.
but you dont want to change ur radio there is an option to get better sound quality then the wireless fm transmitter (i personally think these things suck my ball sack) For Any sirius or XM unit the have a FM direct wire ($25), No one ever offers them but they have it what it does it cuts off whatever signal is going in and just tranmitt that signal, its 50% better then the wireless shit
the reason no one every really gets offerd this is because (at least i) dont like putting them in because u have to take the radio out to plug it into the factory head unit. and telling the custmer that u need the 25 dollar part and 2 ant adapters because your buick centry has diffent type of ant…so thats another 25, so i avoid that situation…
hope this helps and if u have any more questions shoot
dont get
sirius “starmate”
sirius any"XACT"
XM"roady2"
i wouldent recoment the MYFI either
good ones are skify2 the new roady and the sportster seems solid, the S50 is just discustly sick,
and so on,

yea 1/8 to 1/8 works good to. as for down town, no complains ask dirty ol george

You get a good signal downtown because you pick up the terrestrial signal from the ground repeater. There are repeaters in the major cities - apparently Rostraver isn’t one of them. :slight_smile:

Sirius.

Also there was another discussion about this in off topic a few weeks ago…

:slight_smile:

well whoever posted that thread posted it in the wrong forum :boink

i was looking at the Starmate Replay ST2, why don’t you recommend it?

and also if i get a headunit with a front audio jack, is the sound quailty better though the jack than it is though FM??

Replays 44 minutes of content (pause, rewind and fast-forward)
Rewind and fast-forward by song or time
Search and choose songs from the Replay List
Quick access to live programming
5-line wide-screen graphic display
Easy to use 4-way navigation button
30 channel presets with preset scan
100-frequency wireless FM transmitter with FM preset button. Stores five FM frequencies that can be accessed at the touch of a simple preset button.
Satellite-updated real-time clock
Game Alert
spacer- Prompts when your favorite teams are playing at start of game and when scores
spacerchange

Game Zone
spacer Lists your favorite teams’ scores on one screen

ump Button
spacer- Smart preset button for one touch access to traffic and weather reports for your city or
spaceruse to tune to your favorite SIRIUS channel

SIRIUS-Seek
spacer- Enhanced feature now includes alerts of up to 30 artist names and/or song title
spacercombinations
Includes:
spacer- Suction cup mount, mounting plate with cable management features and hook and
spacerloop fastener strip
spacer- Low profile car antenna
spacer- Remote control

[QUOTE=CavlrZ]
i was looking at the Starmate Replay ST2, why don’t you recommend it?

and also if i get a headunit with a front audio jack, is the sound quailty better though the jack than it is though FM??

QUOTE]

Its not bad, but if u wanna take it to out of the car its much more of a pain in the ass to take out because it sord of clips in shitty, and u gotta unplug 2 connectors instead of just sliding it out, as for the Audio Jack yea its 100% better in the front (or rear i like the rear ones the cheaper alpine has it), instead of the FM modulation,

Remember you are paying 13 a month you should get The nicest unit u can,

but as for sound quality from the starmate vs sportster they are the same, They just look a little different…

When the Sirius S50 was announced a while back, satellite radio aficionados were drooling. It was a way for you to record satellite radio and take it with you wherever you went. Well, now it is out and people aren’t as happy about it anymore. The RIAA, everybody’s favorite fun wreckers, apparently had some issues about the capabilities of the device, so some unexpected limitations are now in place on the device.

Recordings are now limited to two hours each and you are limited to 20 recordings at one time. The 50 in S50 was supposed to indicate the 50 hours of recording time the device could handle, so this change means that you can only take advantage of 80% of the capacity of the unit with satellite content, though you can add other MP3’s if you want. You can get around this limitation in one sense and record a four hour program by setting back-to-back two hour recordings.

You can now only schedule a recording of a show, not music. That means you can record your favorite talk show, but an interview with your favorite band is out if it contains any of their songs. You can only record one song at a time. After the song ends, the recording stops. That means you can’t record a whole program of songs.

These changes are disappointing to satellite radio fans, but all hope is not lost. First, software updates will surely be available, if they aren’t already, to overcome these limitations. Second, if you have any computer savvy at all, you can find other devices and means to record as much satellite as you want to thumb your nose at the RIAA.

fmfkid - before I bother trying it, will the Sportster Replay antenna cord reach from the deck lid to the radio in a GTP? If not, can I splice a longer piece in?

i’m also curious to the length of that cord… rather that roof i was thinking of running it onto the top of the trunk

Jeff,

My starmate cord reaches without a problem on my GP

lol this is hit or miss sometimes it works sometimes it doesent, its trail and error, no there is no wat to splice a cable in either, I tend to put it in the corner of the DASH and this usually works good, but if not i always Try and put it under the cowl (yes this works) I havent tried to stick them on the trunk in a while because i hate wasting time, and 1 time it was real close and it rubbed metal or got a kink in it and when that happens it comes up no ant detected or searching and it is pretty hard to fix, so dash, then under the cowl then the got awful roof (this is ok on suvs with racks)

hope this helps again
-joe

i have the starmate… i love it! i just have the antenna sitting on my dash and it works great and is more portable when i switch cars. I also have the XM stuff for alpine for sale. I used to have that in my old jetta. The only reason i have sirius now is for stern. I think i like XM a lil better then Sirius. Either way they are both good.

I like the dash idea. Where do you mean when you say under the cowl?

under the plastic piece by the windshield wipers