trying to find a wired fm transmitter..

I’m trying to hook a cheapass sansa mp3 player to my car.

The car has a factory am/fm radio with no aux jack.

Is there such thing as a wired fm transmitter that will hook up to the back of the radio (antenna)…

I can’t seem to find exactly what I’m looking for anywhere, even online.

It would be just a antenna adapter on one side, going into a modulator box, going to a male headphone cable…

If I can’t find it, I’ll just buy a 90 dollar headunit with aux in.

hmmmm… like as in a sat radio type of unit? (that attaches to an antenna?)

Circuit City. FM Modulator. It’s like $40.

Yeah man.

I have sirius sat radio, and have the direct FM modulator. It works great for the sat, but I can’t get it to work with the mp3 player, even after adapting from minijack to standard headphone jack.

I decided to get rid of the satellite and just want to listen to podcasts in the car now…

does the headunit have usb?, thats how i have my sansa hooked up, works great.

Its a 2003 saturn, just the base radio with no cd, no aux, just am/fm…

ohh ok.

That’s because the sirius adapter is just a switch, not an FM transmitter. I.E. the headphone jack looking thing on the sirius receiver is just a wired FM transmitter.

Your ipod is sending an analog audio signal, not an FM signal.

Your options are wireless FM transmitter, wired FM Modulator, or new head unit.

let me look around justin, I know I’ve seen them before, just don’t know what they’re called

Yeah i would look at the wireless ones

Here, this is it.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Audiovox-FM-Modulator-for-Mobile-Video-FMM100A/sem/rpsm/oid/80974/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

If you don’t mind having a non-factory head unit you’d REALLY be better off spending another 30 or so and getting a head unit with an aux input. The sound quality will probably still suck with the modulator. Not as bad as a wireless transmitter, but still not that great.

^ yeah, that’s probably your best bet justin.

I picked up a wireless FM transmitter for my MP3 player in the buick a few years ago and even with the stereo being mere inches away, the audio SUCKED and had a shit load of interference.

I think there is a newer law restricting the power of fm transmitters via the FCC.

Hmm…

Thanks guys. Its not worth spending 40 or 50 bucks on, I was thinking 10 bucks max.

I can buy a cd head unit for 50 bucks with an aux input, or I could spend 70-80 bucks and get a cd player that plays mp3’s directly off usb sticks.

or move to canada where there is no FCC laws lol

Meh. I hacked my FM transmitter. Soldered on a 2 foot antenna wire so it transmits way stronger than the FCC allows. Still sucked.

lol your l33t

lol
http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS270&q=fm+transmitter+hack

i hacked a serial cable to work with my cable modem

lol

im not as l33t

:picard: :lol: :highfive: