So what's a good FM transmitter?

Anybody use one around here regularly and like it? For those of you just tuning in, I’m talking about one of those magical little devices that broadcasts your MP3 player to your car stereo.

I’m specifically looking for one with a 1/8" stereo input, but if you use one for your ipod that you like let me know.

NO!!!

What kind of mp3 player are we speaking of? Do they make the parts to interface it with your current head unit(assuming factory)? Please dont buy a FM transmitter they harm children and cause global warming.

The Belkin plus one its white works pretty well, the basic one(black) does not.

Its not foolproof and can have some interference but if that happens change the frequency its on and solve that issue.

lol I know it’s not the greatest idea but there are no inputs on my head unit so if I want to bring music with me I can either burn lotsa CD’s and carry them all with me, try an FM transmitter, or replace the head unit.

I know they generally suck, but a buddy of mine has a Griffin iTrip for his Ipod and it actually sounds fairly decent.

The trouble with these is that they have a power output restriction per FCC rules.
Most are poor at eliminating outside interference.
I had this one and I liked it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/apple-Ipod-Airplay-FM-transmitter-ipod-nano-mini-raido_W0QQitemZ300184162044QQihZ020QQcategoryZ73836QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It has no external wires and runs off ipod power… it has a identical ipod plug on the bottom that allowes you to plug in the oem ipod car charger.

Its digital PLL tuning plus has 3 station presets.
Being that small and portable you can stick a Nano in the visor, by the radio, almost anywhere. It worked well when close to the radio.

Its a very simple and clean design.

You can buy a Belkin and perform a antenna hack which can more then double output “power” by the installation of a foot+ long wire antenna. This will broadcast over the radios of cars next to you. Google it

100% agree. I decided to just get a headunit that had an aux output on the front. It worked 100% better, and even though it cost a little more… it was 100% worth it. imo.

^ word. You can get awesome, brand new, Kenwood, or JVC, double DIN head units on ebay with mp3 and aux inputs for ~$150
Worth it all day long when you have to spend $50 on a transmitter.
SOmetimes saving a few bucks is completely pointless and hurts you more then it helps.

:lol: I’d feel kind of bad subjecting others to my own taste in music, but I’ll look for that. Thanks!

Probably not a bad idea.

If it is an Ipod they probably make the stuff to interface it to your factory head unit. Basically anything that has the option of a cd changer will have the plug needed. IMO get the cheaper head unit with a aux in as even when just listening to anything it will sound better then the factory unit.

I used a Belkin for my ipod and it worked fine.

Accel for my PS2 when I had my focus

I have the cheap Belkin it works fine :wtf:

no it doesn’t. none of them do. i mean… if you like the sound quality of AM radio, then yeah.

EDIT_ I had three versions: the original belkin, the programmable monster one, and a new belkin.

Long story short… I bought an Alpine CD deck and iPod interface. Touch screen interface next. Well worth the costs.

I have an Alpine headunit in my Mustang with the iPod interface and its awesome! I also have the Griffin iTrip FM transmitter thing that I use in the Jeep and when i am driving trucks at work. sound quality is major :tdown: and it only works sometimes (found out some tricks to get it to be more reliable), but despite the downsides, its nice for my application. the aftermarket headunit/interface option is by far the best way to go IMO. correct me if i am wrong, but i do not believe i see where you posted what kind of mp3 player it is, so this may limit your options.

i just recieved a new sony xplode cd player for christmas from my brother and it has the ipod cable build right in the back of it. runs right through to my glove box and i can plug my ipod in and leave right in there, without ever touching it while driving. the cd player will show the title, artist, and even scroll through my playlists with just the use of my remote. now im new to all this ipod and cd player stuff, but i did some research and the cd player was only $119 at best buy.

I used 4 of them, and the best one i had was a belkin with a screen. The rest of them sucked, and the belkin one worked ok for most applications. And PLL FTW! Who wants to have to tune the dam thing constantly?

The only time I’d bother with an FM transmitter was if I was constantly in rental/company cars that I couldn’t modify and didn’t have aux-ins.

For a personal vehicle its very much worth it to figure out a permanent solution.

play artist “jimmy buffett”

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=1998401&catParentID=7872&scId=7872&oldParentID=7872