SixSpeed454SS's 1966 GTO project

looks great so far man! i cant wait to start on my friends 67 tempest

hey where’s the truck?

how many mice found a new home,

Uh oh. filling up wifey’s spot for the Acura!!!

That thing is saweet.

The truck is sitting outside right now. I need to make some space in my shed for GTO parts, so I can get it inside. Hell, I’m still driving it until the weather changes for the worse.

I took everything apart & found no mice, but I did find mouse poop & nest stuff. Cleaned & vacuumed it all out.

Anyone know how to get rid of the musty smell???

new garage is already starting to look like the garage it came out of

:rofl: :rofl:

I’m waiting to see stuff pilled up on it and all around it

Aint gonna happen

Nice Man, get some more pics up when you get the rest of her torn down.

lookin good

The musty smell will go with either the doors being off or the windows being down and take the carpet out and check underneath for more mice and critter leavins …I have restored 2 old mopars already and am helping my dad do his again now so its alot of fun but expensive

I’m guessing you didn’t see the pics of the underside…aint no mice & critter leavins under there.

The only thing left in the interior is the rear seat back & headliner. There is no carpets, dash, door panels, front seats, etc. I am pulling the headliner out after the holidays & hoping I can get smoething to combat the musty smell. I figure the 20 years of dust & stuff all over the floors & frame may be causing some of the smell, too.

ive found that Mice piss leaves a musty smell after time, sorta like those cars for sale in a field for years and years.

Im thinking the smell will just make its way out over time, You said theres no fabric in it anymore, except the seat back and the headliner? well the smell may be contained in the seat back, Idk, but im sure itll go away later, and if not

No scent fabrezze FTW.!

Kara wants to get a 50 gallon can of Fabreeze & spray the entire garage. She hates the smell of old cars. Once I get the headliner & seatback out, I will prolly try some fabreeze. I don’t want this car to stink when I get it back on the road.

baking soda takes away odors, put a box of that in the car.

depends on the smell. sometime the old smell lets you know youre in an old car. but musty mildew rotten piss smell is just wrong. imo

Well, finally had some time to work on the GTO. Mounted up a set of BFGs on 15x7 rally II wheels, so I could move it around. The wheels/tires that were on it would lose air in a day.

Christmas day, I waxed the whole underneath of the car. It looks pretty damn good. I pulled the headliner & back seat out, completely vacuumed it out. Re organized all of the parts & moved back into the trunk.

I pulled the front clip off & pulled the motor out. Last night I pulled the pan & looked at the bearings. Things don’t look great. This motor may need rebuilt sooner than later. I was hoping to just run it without a rebuild. So, I may just build the 455 now. I’d rather build the 455, if I’m gonna rebuild a motor anyway. It’ll just cost a little more, since I’ll be doing new connecting rods, pistons, steel crank, etc. mainly for durability.

My next step is to try to clean all of the overspray off the front frame & firewall. It is pretty bad. Hopefully, it will clean up good. Then I need to make sure all the A/C stuff is properly fitted to the firewall & the openings are in the correct spot.

EDIT 1/15/07: The main & rod bearings are ok & can be reused. They are in better shape than they looked. Everything was at proper clearances, so I retorqued everything & reassembled with new gaskets. The timing chain looks good & the oil pump pickup is clean. I had to pull the timing cover & put helicoils in the fuel pump mounting holes. I put on a brand new water pump, then I painted it the original Silver Blue Metallic. It’ll be going back in the car this week sometime.

Remember, this is an original 1966 389 ci motor that I am using to get the car on the road. I will be building a new 455 eventually.

I found this pic of my GTO that was taken at the David L Lawrence Convention Center in 1982. This is what the GTO looked like when my dad bought it. That is also his El Camino next to it. According to the back of the photo, this was 2 weeks after the Elky was completely redone & finished. I do remember that a week after the show, someone ran into the side of it & it was never the same. It had a Pontiac 400/Muncie 4 speed, and a complete Pontiac Grand Am dash, seats, & door panels. It had painted bumpers, door handles, etc, long before it was in style.

I just got my exhaust system today, and some other parts I have been waiting for. I need to repaint the firewall black, and then I can move forward on this project. The motor/trans is ready to go in. I just restored the guage cluster, and need to get the Instument panel rechromed, so I can put it back together. I restored all of the pedals & reinstalled them into the car, before deciding that I want to change the firewall color.

http://www.akvalley.net/~ss/66GTOconventioncenter1982.jpg

Its sad to see that car go from that picture to sitting in that garage like that :(. But its good to see someone putting her back together:) I love those cars and wish I had the $/time to do one myself