ski-doo motor information

I’m looking at possibly buying a 01-02 mxz 440 ski-doo.
The guy that has it said he put a 700 in it.
My question is, how can I tell the what engine is in it?

Thanks guys

make him prove it to you… take the head off?

Then what would I do ? lol I don’t want to sound retarted but maybe it fits. I don’t know much about snowmobiles

check the cylinders. theres normally a casting mark of the displacement.

the casting is true way to tell. if no marks on the casting them take the head off and measure the piston…?

[quote=“mike125k,post:4,topic:37813"”]

check the cylinders. theres normally a casting mark of the displacement.

[/quote]

either that or serial #'s that you can look up.

see if it has variable exhaust valves(I think that was a 440 fan and it would not have any variable exhaust valves), I don’t know why he would put a Liquid cooled motor into a 440, the heat exchangers would cost more then the motor, I thought about it about 2 years ago for a 500sle.

sometimes you come across a deal you cant pass up, maybe thats what hapend to him. Or he just wanted a sleeper

a 440 from this year would be liquid and have the valves so that wont work

[quote=“mgmid7070,post:7,topic:37813"”]

see if it has variable exhaust valves(I think that was a 440 fan and it would not have any variable exhaust valves), I don’t know why he would put a Liquid cooled motor into a 440, the heat exchangers would cost more then the motor, I thought about it about 2 years ago for a 500sle.

[/quote]

my bad…remember though you can find amazing deals in november december on sleds especially know the market is flooded with used ones

at a quick glance it is easy to tell the difference in jug sizes between the motors

Is it an 01 or 02? I’m pretty sure some 02 model year 440’s were rev’s, but hell if I can remember that far back. Anyways, the CC’s should be cast on the motor somewheres. Regardless of what motor, it should be liquid cooled. Ski-doo hasn’t done a fan cooled race sled IIRC since the s chassis. FWIW, you better make sure the swap was done right. If not, some interesting things can happen. Such as cooling issues if the hoses and everything aren’t set-up correctly. Pretty sure magneto’s were different, etc…

You’re better off buying a 440, or a real sled that CAME with whatever motor size it is you want. Oh, and that 700 is a slug. My spare sled (a stock 02 600 x package) will pull stock 700’s.

Has it been raced? If it has, I might avoid it. Raced sleds take some SERIOUS abuse and although they’re made for it, it does NOT mean it’ll last forever. I cracked a tunnel on my 02, and that sled was never raced. Now add in the abuse race sleds take and you’ve got some interesting issues that can come up.

p.s. if you want a real sled my 07 mxzx-rs is for sale.

Its a friend of mines sled…he has money and throws it around all the time. He bought the thing 2 or 3 years ago and rode it once. He installed a exhaust/clutch/track from his uncle that owns a very popular atv/bike place lol. He said there is a 700 in it, but he knows even less then me and could have be jewed. Where can I find the casting number?

its gonna be pretty obvious, but just pm sedelmier101 tyler he races for them professionally

pretty much every Bombi motor has the cc marked right on it, its on the case, next to a cylinder base. mine says right on it 699cc, so you could look there.

I dont know what kind of a deal your getting on it but I got a 02 mxz 800 with electronic reverse 2400 mi for $3000

i got a 02Mxz 600 with manual reverse for 2400$ and i believe a little less miles then the 800 above