Small suv suggestions

My wife got hit by some ditsy college kid friday and i’m pretty sure they’re gonna total her car. We were talking and she’s thinking of getting a small suv this time around if they total it. If they total it we should end up with about 5000 from what she owes on her car. I’d like to keep the payment the same since she’s going to school full time starting january for the next 2 and a half years and the bills on me. I’m basically looking for a $15000 car, which gives me 5000 down and should keep the payment at 200 a month.

suggestions for a small suv please…
-small suv, under 50kmi

• ~$15000 price range
    -auto is a must
    -something that doesn’t suck in the snow, awd would be nice
    -not too bad on mpg, atleast 25+ would be preferred
    -small towing capacity would be nice, but not necessary

thanks in advance

My wifes car is a 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara. She loves it. I like it. It seems powerfull enough (V6), has AWD but, the MPG is around 23-24. We have about 65,000 on it with absolutely Zero issues.

Crv!

2009-2011 VW Tiguan Auto with 4Motion (AWD) has a 2.0 liter thats turbocharged. I have a 2012 and and love it and average about 28mpg combined
crazybrew on here is General Sales manager at VW of schenectady and i know for a fact there is atleast 3 used on the lot as we speak
http://images.thecarconnection.com/sml/2011-volkswagen-tiguan-2wd-4-door-auto-s-angular-front-exterior-view_100332559_s.jpg

Me and my wife were thinking about goin gwith a CRV. She has a 02’ Liberty now and loves it, but its just horrible on mpg with the 3.7 in it. Does tow well though. She doesnt need anything v6 and the CRV seemed to be the way to go. Keeps up mpg and still has room inside.

Definitely the Honda CR-V like previously mentioned or maybe a Toyota Highlander, not sure if they’re in the $15k range used or not.

cayenne

Get the newest CR-V you can afford. I have 2012 and absolutely love it, 30+ mpg highway and lots of cool features and great ride quality.

CR-v is definately at the top of the list. Looking around quick on epa and autotrader looks like a 2008+ hybrid escape or mercury mariner would be another high possiblility, 4x4 and epa says 28+mpg combined (i typically find epa to be a little low)

I would think you could get a new '12/'13 CRV(newest redesigned body style) for around $200/mo. They’re pretty cheap for what they are. The '12+ are phenomenal vehicles. Plus they come in AWD as well. Another thing about the CRV is they’re very reliable and cheap to maintain, as any Honda is for the most part. How could you go wrong with one :lol

2009 saturn vue hybrid is also climbing up to the top of the list.

You cannot kill a CR-V, they are great vehicles.

CRV. If you need help, my brother is a sales guy at Mohawk Honda. PM me for his contact info.

I have a major hard on for Cayennes, not in my budget though.

No offense, but the Vue and Escape/mariners are shit boxes and won’t be worth anything once you’re ready to unload it. Look how well you did with your Tacoma, you’ll NEVER do that with an American car, EVER. I HAD to buy a new CR-V because the price on a used one was so crazy it didn’t make any sense not to. The money will always be there on a used one no matter how many body styles ago the model is.

^ what he said. My wife insisted on leasing an Escape and I was disappointed every single day. I’d suggest CRV first, RAV 4 second. The Subaru Forester presents a decent value proposition if you find one optioned responsibly.

Toyotas/Honda hold value, nothing new there.

don’t rule out the newer subaru legacy/outback. My mom just picked up a 2012 legacy, and despite being gigantic and AWD, it gets 33mpg on the highway.

Boom. Right there.

Same goes for used German small SUVs. While they may be very nice, they depreciate like crazy and once out of warranty…good luck unless you have the dough to keep up on their maintenance. X3, Q5, GLK, Toureg… Nice vehicles but I’d snag a brand new CRV or Toyota small SUV, if I were in the market, over any of those used(for probably similar prices). Especially if its for my girlfriend/fiancé/wife, I’d want her in something as reliable as possible.

yeah i know what you mean about resale. The crvs are great, and i do like them. but i think the front seating is a little too “minivan like” for her. also the mpg from what i can gather online is nothing to brag about, averaging city/highway at 24, opposed to 32 for a hybrid ford. And while a ford apples to apples will not keep the value of the honda, hybrids do keep very good value, especially with rising gas prices. those things aside i would like to see her in a honda, knowing it will run forever, we’ll have to go see some in person this week and check them out