Snorkeling Lake Erie

Took some friends out for a little snorkeling trip on Lake Erie Saturday. Started off at the sunken ship off Sherkston then worked our way back toward Buffalo along the Canadian shore. Saw lots of bass, a few sheephead and some poor guys Volvo Penta DuoProp outdrive. The water was pretty clear, but it’s better earlier in the summer before the algae builds up.

What are you recording with?

Sony Action Cam AS100V. Using Sony’s flat lens underwater case too.

That outdrive is worth some bucks if you can salvage some of the parts. The prop could be worth some coin too. We were in my girls’ brothers boat and hit something in the water which sheared off his outdrive. It was a Bravo unit. He found a bunch of rebuilt units on eBay for $3k-$4k.

I thought about it but that one seemed pretty rough to rebuild. Any impact hard enough to shear it clean off likely damaged it beyond repair.

After looking at his boat it appeared to me that it is designed to sheer the way it does with a clean break so that it doesn’t hurt anything higher. It’s fully sealed. Probably looks mint inside.

Go get it!

It would make sense to design it that way. Imagine it is ripped a massive hole in the boat or dislodged the engine with a impact. It would be big bucks. get that beast I want to see what kind of condition it is in.

I hear there is a submarine at about 15ft depth on the Canadian side.

Nice to see your boats floating again :slight_smile:

what kind of sub? I am assuming not military

more on this!

So I guess that barge wasn’t a barge after all. So much of it has been salvaged I didn’t realize it used to be a ship.

https://reefwarriors.wordpress.com/category/sherkston-ship-wreck/

Cool stuff.

2 years ago my friend lost his anchor when it slipped, chain and all, off his boat. About a month later he noticed his GPS had been tracking his location at the time, went back with scuba gear and went to the bottom to look for it. He ended up finding it and pulling it back up :tup:

I’m sure there are all sorts of interesting things at the bottom.

Very cool photos there…

I’ve heard that there is actually a lot of quality diving in Lake Erie. You obviously won’t see the most fascinating wild life, but there are plenty of ship wrecks to explore and once you get below the thermocline it is much better visibility.

Looks like there are plenty of wrecks:

http://www.mapsofantiquity.com/store/Pictorial_Maps/Lake_Erie,_Graveyard_of_the_Great_Lakes,_Major_Wrecks_Since_1600_A.D./images/MWE225.JPG

^ There’s not a lot you can snorkel though. None that are this intact and close to Buffalo.

Looked like fun! :tup:

It was a great time, except today I’m on antibiotics for an ear infection I’m pretty sure I picked up from the Lake. :slight_smile: