Another Boat Sank in the Niagara River

Here is the article, I want to see a picture of this as it sits, and once they recover it.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/windsor/story/2010/08/02/ont-niagara-yacht-rescue-100802.html

scary

i dont see the big deal… people cant swim?

Where’s the failboat graphic?

“Not enough life jackets”

and not a single person with sense enough to realize this before they leave the dock?

It doesn’t surprise me at all then that these people would sink their boat.

Agreed. I can hold 10 comfortably on my boat. How many life jackets do I store on it? 12.

Fighting the current which wants to take you through the rapids and dump you over the falls tires you out really quick.

:tup: to having the money for an almost 40’ yacht but not having enough life jackets for your passengers, and not buying a $15 chart that clearly shows the giant shoal just south of the Peace Bridge.

And yeah, that would be a shitty area to swim through. All kinds of crazy currents where the water goes ripping past the bridge supports.

This is exactly what I was thinking. If this turns out to be a new boat, and I did see a very nice new yacht, approx. 40’ out in that area on Sunday afternoon then I will chalk it up to ignorance and sheer stupidity. A 40’ “yacht” can get way up there in $$ especially if it is a searay or a carver. For this guys sake i hope that it was a 1978 Silverton Express or something similar that he could give a fuck about sinking.

The water in that area will try and pull you quickly, They were a good mile away from the bridge, but depending on what side they were on they could have been dragged quite fast into the supports.

There was a HUGE regatta at Buff Yacht Club this past week/weekend, it was probably one of those people. I was down at the Yacht Club Saturday and Sunday and there were a couple of dozen ~40ft yachts.

Swim toward the shore diagonal with the current. You’ll be at shore long before the rapids without the current severely tiring you out.

True, however I would bet at least some of the passengers were women. Their course of action would more likely be panic, flail, drown.

Bump

I heard yesterday that the boat is still sitting on the bottom and salvage crews are saying it’s going to be a really difficult salvage because of the size, location and current. I’m trying to find an exact location when it went down since we’re heading out that way tomorrow night and I’d like to see if it’s visible.

So if it’s in Canadian waters does that mean that the American DEC can’t fine the shit out of him for sinking a boat full of gas and oil?

I’d say I’d go look for it, but if it sank by hitting rocks then I think I’ll just steer clear.

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Jay here’s a clue if you want to go find it:

Moberley says the boat remains tied to a buoy in the river and will be towed to shore later Monday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/02/national/main6736383.shtml

LOL you don’t think the Canadian government is even MORE protective of their pristine waters

Eh they don’t really have rules. More guidelines…

Anyhow, if you look at the chart, the only reef in Canadian waters is around the lighthouse. I’m guessing that’s where they hit, So the thing’s probably tied off to EU6. Unless they drifted all the way down to EU7 or EU8. Shouldn’t be too hard to spot on a sunny day. I’m thinking about taking a vacation day on Friday if the weather’s nice. Maybe I"ll go look for it. :tup:

I really doubt they would be allowed to tie it off to a navigation buoy. More likely the salvage company has tied off their own buoy to the wreck to make locating it easy.

I suppose it’s possible they hit bottom on the Canadian side but I’m still betting they hit out near the round house and the boat drifted into Canadian waters by the time it sank.

This is the most detailed chart of the area:
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14833.shtml

If you hit middle reef it would be very easy to end up in Canadian waters, especially if the wind was pushing toward the Canadian shore.

I’m hoping to go out tomorrow so if I find it I’ll mark the GPS coordinates and update this thread. The guy who told me it was still down there stopped by a little bit ago and I guess a bunch of people have been drifting over it to check it out.

You know, now that you mention it… I went out to the mouth of the river Sunday and I did see another buouy right near EU6. I remember thinking “I wonder what that is. Hey my beer’s empty…” So I didn’t think much of it. I bet you’re right, that was a salvage company’s marker. Orange buouy right next to one of the red Channel Markers.

if you are at the mouth of the lake, and cant make it to shore before you go over the falls, you should just drive to niagara falls yourself, and jump over

thats miles and miles of river, i’m pretty sure you could make it to shore

there is a lot of undertow and shit over there, in some spots you never get the chance.

If it’s as far out as EU6 I’d be willing to drift over it with my snorkel gear on. The current doesn’t get crazy until you’re much closer to the Peace Bridge.