snow + thunder

Happening right now…Freaky, never seen that before :ugh:

yah it sucks… have to put my snow tires on soon.

x2 i love losing traction at 8k its not very fun im just to lazy to put my snows on guess i have to soon

Same here ! ! !

I’ve seen it and it’s definitely a wonder of nature. As for putting snow tires on, the Jeep is ready to go. It’s already outfitted with something that works year round :slight_smile:

ive seen it once b4 when i was like 8

me either…that is strange

weird

Hail came pouring down a few min ago here, now its like sleet :eek:

it actually happened during a snowstorm last year. i remember the weather report saying how rare it was.

It was pretty cool to see. I would have rather been inside watching it through the window, though.

Thunder and lightning usually happen during a whiteout, which I have seen a couple of those, got like 2 inches of snow in 10 minutes. They don’t happen to often and usally occur in the winter, they are pretty wild.

yeah at first it was like raining freezing rain, snowing and hailing all at once. Then it turned to all snow. After it had turned to all snow for like 15 mins then it started thundering. So weird. LOL 20 mins later it was sunny again. Am I living in “Eureka”?

Saw it as well. Looked more like sleet here though. A single flash of lightning, too.

of course I decide to take my dog for a walk, half way up the block it’s raining, I got another 100 feet it’s hailing, then back to rain…twas weird, my dog liked it, he was scurred at first, then he tried to grab the hail :stuck_out_tongue:

Thundersnow is a particularly rare meteorological phenomenon that includes the typical behavior of a thunderstorm, but with snow falling as the primary precipitation instead of rain.

There are usually three forms of thundersnow:

* A normal thunderstorm on the leading edge of a cold front or warm front that either forms in a winter environment or one which runs into cool air and maintains the precipitation as snow.
* A heavy synoptic snowstorm that catches a warm draft of air or sustains strong vertical mixing which allows for favorable conditions for lightning and thunder to occur.
* A lake effect or ocean effect thunderstorm which is produced by cold air passing over relatively warm water, this effect commonly produces snow squalls over the Great Lakes.

One unique aspect of thundersnow is that the snowfall acts as an acoustic suppressor of the thunder. The thunder from a typical thunderstorm can be heard many miles away, while the thunder from thundersnow can usually only be heard within a two to three kilometer radius from the lightning.

Thundersnow, while rare anywhere, is more common with lake effect snow in the Great Lakes area of the United States and Canada, the midwestern U.S., the Great Salt Lake, and has also been reported around the Sea of Japan and even around Mount Everest during expeditions. When such storms happen at ski areas, the mountain is often evacuated for safety.

Thundersnow was reported in metro Atlanta during the Great Blizzard of 1993, and in greater New York (and other areas) during the Blizzard of 2006. During a thundersnow event in late March 1997, lightning struck the main ski lift at the Angelfire Resort in Angelfire, New Mexico after closing time. This caused no injuries, but damaged the only lift providing access to and from the operating part of the mountain. Large snow pellets were also reported from this storm. One of the largest Thundersnow events to date is the October 2006 snowstorm which affected the Buffalo, New York area as well as Fort Erie, Ontario. Thundersnow was reported constantly and during the events height, cloud to ground lightning strikes were occurring at a rate of 10 strikes per minute or more

only 1.3% of cool-season (October-May) thunderstorms reported coincide with snowfall, and only 0.07% of snowstorms have associated thunder. (A five-year study of thundersnows in the central US by University of Missouri meteorologist, Patrick Market, began in 2003.)

yeah just saw some lightining and snow

was u 7 befor u where 8 0r 8 befor u where 7?:lickmahpu