So I adopted a dog today... then had to return her

Long story so try and hang in there

Me and my Gf have been looking into getting a female dog for a few months now. We currently have an Australian Cattledog named Ogie that mine as well be our son, hes spoiled rotten and goes absolutly everywhere with us(everyone that went on the ADK cruise can vouch for that:lol). So we were really hoping to find him a companion and we have always wanted to rescue a pitbull since we love bully breeds and itd be great to give one a good home.

So a few days ago my gf finds a local pit mix at the Hudson/Mohawk humane society/shelter. Yesterday we went down and brought Ogie with us and looked at her and had her and Ogie do a meet and greet, it went great and they really hit it off. And the lady that was showing us the dog insured us there was no dog or human agression issues with the pit mix. So we left all our info and got approved to adopt her, so today I went down there, paid the $90 fee, and brought her home.

When I got home with the dog I kept her down by the car and went and got Ogie, put them both on their long leashes and let them meet on a neutral ground just as a precaution before bringing her inside. Once again they hit if off and both tails are wagging and they are playing, so I bring them inside my apartment and thats where it gets interesting. Within 2-3 minutes the pit snapped at Ogie 3 times and growled and snarled at him multiple times despite him being completly non confrontational, Ogies a big goof and he is completly un-agressive to people and other dogs. Once this happens I immediatly stick the pit back in the car and make the trip down to menands from saratoga for the second time that day to return the agressive dog that I was told wasnt agressive.

So I get back and talk to the girl at the front counter and am informed that its my fault the dogs didnt get along since apparently there is a special way to have to dogs meet again which I was supposed to be informed of but was not. And IMO it shouldnt matter, a dog that requires special attention to be introduced into a completly unhostile environment is a dog that is not ready to be adopted out. So I give the dog back and am informed that the contract says they dont do cash refunds and i can only get credit from my adoption fee to be used in their shelter. So basically I paid $90, to get lied to, be misinformed, drive all over the fuckin capital district, and have my dog get snapped at by an apparently dog friendly pitbull.

One hell of a fucking day, tomorrow Im calling and seeing what I can do about getting my money back. I wouldnt dare rescue a dog from that shelter again since they clearly are misinformed about their animals and dont give you all the information you need to know when adopting a dog. I signed a contract under the presumption I had all the information they had to offer and I clearly didnt and had they given me the information about the special way to introduce the dogs which is complete BS I wouldve never adpoted from them. I even told the woman the day before to give me all the info she had cause I didnt want to be one of those guys that adopted a dog and returned it, I wanted to give a dog thats had a bad life another chance at a great life in a good home.

One hell of a day:Idiots

sucks man sorry to hear it :frowning:

i can DEF vouch for you taking your other dog everywhere, there was dog hair all over your car when i worked on it! lol.

dude there animals ,they do what animals do sure its a shitty situation not doubtin that but but it aint the dogs or the resues fault ya should of brought your dog there abd saw hat happened

I did bring my dog there…

Yea Im pretty upset about it, me and the gf were pretty excited. Im still pretty shaken up by the whole thing.

oh ,it still sucks i got 2 dogs from there both pits and both were great

If you are honestly interested my brother has a pit/boxer (we think) mix that he needs to give a GOOD home.

Yea believe me im not hopping on the pits are bad bandwagon or anything, its definetly not the dogs fault. They didnt do a good job screening her for issues and did a very poor job of informing me about the needs of the dog.

Im actually pretty convinced she actually was dog agressive, what dog goes into a peaceful environment and snaps for no apparent reason? She wasnt acting scared in the least either, there was no food in the room or anything that would trigger that kind of behavior.

who knows what the dog saw before you ,esp with all the high class peeps that get pits there unf steriotype

I wish I could help but after this ordeal me and my gf are going to hold off on adopting for a long time.

i can’t blame you! Ogie is WAY too cute to be getting all messed up with bite marks!!!

Yea he’s a little ladies man, our long term plans are to breed him with a red heeler so we can get some nice red/blue mixes. Aussie cattledogs are great dogs but you just dont see a lot of them around here for some reason.

Fuck dogs.

Ogie is an annoying little cock sucker… but i like him.

Fuck pit bulls… this is why i eat so much chinese food and why i got really excited in modern warfare 2 when i got to shoot and knife dogs

Ogies only annoying cause hes 11 months old, over the next year or so he’ll start to calm down.

stick fuck pit bulls worst ugliest dog ever.

Get a german short hair, or another aussie, or a malamute or an english bull dog or chow chow

malamutes and bernese mountain dogs are the shit, Ill probably have one if not both someday down the road. Bernese are fucking hilarious, they love to fuck with people.

My friend Brad has a bernese and a mastif. Fucking things are huge

If the shelter wont return my money Im going to use the money as sponsor money for the dog, that way there will be no adoption fee for her future owner and will hopefully help her find the home she deserves.

Fuck that. Say you changed her mind and take her back. Then bring her to China wok. She is probly healthy and has some good fat on here. Some good Boneless Spare Ribs there.

I love Boneless Spare Ribs

Dude shes a pitbull, theres practically no fat on her