So i just bought...

A Lizard.

Here is my problem though.
I can’t seem to find any info on it on the net, mainly what temperature I should keep his Terrarium at, and common behaviour.

Since I picked him up at about 2:00 he has been sleeping under a rock. At one point I thought it was dead, so i moved the rock from over him and found that he had burried his head in the sand. So I tried nudgng him and nothing, then I tried picking him up with under his hind leg with the end of the rock (because I don’t like touching him) and his leg stayed there stif in the air…

Now he looks like he’s cruched under the rock.

Any input would help from anyone who has had reptiles in the past.

He is an Egyptian Long-Tailed Lizard by the way.

And his name is Jerry…
My cat’s name is Tom…
Get it?

Help my lizard live!

PS - The lady at the store said he a likes hot and dry climate, but failed to mention exact temperatures due to the fact that she was a tard.

PS I realize that this is not the section for this but it can be locked when I find out what i need to do with him.

How can you not find any information on the internet

First link from a google search

There is also probably another 1000

Hey man… most lizards are usually like that. I used to keep a green iguana and a snake. I know it’s not the same but they are both reptiles. He probably just wants to get used to his enclosure at the moment.

Do you have a heat lamp for him?
Make sure you have one and place it on either end of the tank. So when he wants heat, he can go towards the side of the enclosure that the heat lamp is located.

Just give him more time to adjust. I think I have some lamps from before, if you need some stuff let me know, I will give it to you. Or we can meet up at the west end meet and i’ll give you all the stuff that i had used for my reptiles.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Post some pics!

Robby thanks for the lin, but it is not specific as to temp.

Mark, I think I have all I need.
I put the lamp in one corner, in another corner he has a heated pad under the tank, the water is in the opposite corner of the tank as to reduce humidity, and there is that one piece of bark that he can climb to get closer to the lamo if he feels cold.

I’ll let you know if he looks like he needs more heat, and I may take you up on your ofer for some stuff.

You have to walk him at least 3 times a day. On a leash.

I think we should all get some lizards, and then have lizard wars. Then the more fights your lizard wins the more points it gets. It will then move up a level in Superiority.

Then your reputation on SON is based soley on how many wins your lizard has. Without out a strong and superior lizard you are not allowed to be cool on the internet.

(so its kinda like pokemon)

So whos in?

The temp on yout tank seems pretty cold for a lizard and he looks dead.

Looks liek a small aligator! lol has it moved in the last little while?

is that light coming from a heat lamp?

BTw it looks dead

I got some info on a site that I found… it should definitely relate to your lizard.

Lizards like the one you have need a lot of heat. They are more like sand dwelling type of reptiles.

Got this off a website.

Substrate:Sand or sandy clay. It is preferable to have the substrate deep enough to allow your animal to burrow. Have your substrate at least a few inches deep, and provide them with a sunken cave if you can’t accommodate depth for burrowing. <— Looks like you got that right.

Humidity: As low as possible, to avoid respiratory ailments. If you live in a humid area, keep their temperature on the high end and do whatever you can to keep the localized humidity down. <---- So if your heating pad is right below his water dish, I would either move the heating pad or the dish. I think you should move the pad right below his “cave” that you kinda made for him… around those rocks.

Watering:In the wild their water needs are met from their food. In captivity, they will drink from a shallow water dish. Because you need to keep the humidity as low as possible for them, we recommend that if you provide them with a water dish you leave it in the vivarium for no more than an hour at a time. We’ve never seen our animals take water from a dish.

Temperature:28-39 C day, 18-24 C night

Vivarium Features:1. A hotspot. These guys like to really roast themselves. We have a heat rock under a 100 watt bulb about 8 inches from the surface of the substrate, and they rarely leave this corner of the tank. Be sure that you do provide a cool area so they can regulate their temperatures as they need. If your tank isn’t warm enough, their colors will be very drab and they won’t come out of their burrows or respond to outside stimulus. To keep an active, happy animal, keep it hot.

1. A burrow. In the wild these animals have been known to dig burrows 10 feet long. They will retire to whatever burrow they have nightly. We’ve positioned the hotspot at the opening to their cave, because unless they feel the heat coming in, they won’t come out. One note: they are definitely not morning animals. Give them at least a half hour with the heat on before you expect to see them moving.

General Behavior:We call our animals “two stupid dogs.” They are not the brainiest of animals, exemplified by one of our first experiences with them: they were basking under their lamp one day, and one moved it’s foot, and the other looked at it and bit off the long center toe. They will defecate and lay in it. They will bang into the glass over and over and over and never understand. But really, they’re the cutest and most easily handled animals in the house, even more so than the cats. Being handled does not seem to stress them out in the least. They seem to enjoy digging, eating, sunbathing, and sleeping. Like we said, two stupid dogs.

Food:Basic Herbivorous Diet, with the following specifics:

In the wild, uromastyx generally prefer the tough, non-succulent leaves and blossoms of Artemesia and related plants such as wormwood, cudweed, and tarragon. (Tarragon is a spice that nurseries will often carry and you can grow it in your home or garden.)

In captivity, feed them a basic herbivorous diet including vegetables (no spinach or chard) and some fruit. Ours seem to enjoy pulling apart pieces of dried fruit as well as fresh. Also include the leaves and blossoms of dandelions, hibiscus, and nasturtium as they are both delicious and very highly nutritious. Add to their diet fresh and dried peas, pelletted alfalfa, fresh beans of as many varieties as you can find, wild bird seed, millet, or slightly moistened chick starter mash (you can find it at farm feed stores.) In addition, the long stems of grass with seed heads are relished.

Although insects will be devoured greedily, they are not recommended in general for any of the spiny-tailed agamids as it can cause them various ailments. Once every couple of months we provide ours with a few as a treat.

I think that should be it. Just don’t let the tank get too humid. Don’t worry too much about it yet, but make sure you’re doing everything or refering to the stuff I just posted. Good luck!

Pic of my green iguana’s enclosure when i had it…

http://jammin.jshost.ca/mark/Misc%20Pics/rextank.JPG

Mark