so i wanna make a machete...any blacksmiths here?

I have 2 machetes in my shed right now.

You won’t get it hot enough with a standard fire, you’ll need someone to blow you, errr, for you.

Anvils are expensive, just get a big hunk of hard steel that is flat on the top.

You can use charcoal. Use a leaf-blower to give the coals extra air.

Cold cut out the basic profile first.

Oh, and harden the steel when you are done.

John, you seriously can’t just flatten a piece of metal and sharpen it with your anger?

I have an anvil and can’t you cheat a bit by using a torch to heat the metal?
Fuck it I’m pissed off and want to hit something

Your going to be in for one hell of fun time. Drink plenty of water lol

why does it have to be black?

Is the erie county fair still going on? Srsly. Go there, near the ag center up top. Find the black smith. Talk to him. You’re talking about a lost art. Go find a craftsman and pick his brain.

Granted the Erie County Fair has been overrun by the goddammed midway carnie bullshit, but that’s a rant for another night.

:picard:

i have that, i took it camping last year

Just get a piece of 1084 cut it to shape with a band saw, get it heat treated, and finish it off with a belt grinder to a 400 grit finish.

John, this is great.

However we all know that you will never need a machete, if you are ever attacked all you have to do is look sternly at the opponent and apply 100 ft lbs of torque to their nipples with your fore finger and thumb.

buy a machete from walmart… seriously they have them.

i think everyone is missing the point here. Its all about the moment. wtf. Anyone can just go buy one from walmart, but a true warrior can make one with his own hands.

harborfreight has anvils.:slight_smile:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=806

As long they have access to harbor freight :tup:

or I can just get you a pre-fab 22" machette from my work, and then you can make whatever you want with it

like a blank

I think the material is 52100, who knows, might even get you a piece that was already hardened

send me a PM :smiley:

john if you want to talk to someone about it the catt county fair starts sunday… and there is amish guys near my house… yea they dont all make machetes but they do blacksmith work

You can’t use a torch because you need to have more control over the temperature of the metal. You will need a blower and a stove (ceramic, iron or clay) to get the temperature up on the coals. High-carbon steel as was mentioned and a bit of know-how. If your starting with a raw ingot you have to heat, pound, flatten, fold, repeat…

Is this thing legit? Someone owes me money.

Ugh… I wanna make a machete now :frowning: 36" machete of ridiculousness