Some (very) basic questions about first gen altimas...

Sup people, I’ve been a member here but don’t post much at all…

My first gen Altima needs a facelift, and I have some general questions before I start pouring money out.

I’m replacing the rear rotors & pads - is there any type of cross or slot drilled rotors I should stay clear of? Any recommendations? I just need something decent - I’m not performance modding ( well, not too much ).

What kind of ride quality difference would I be looking at if I replaced the factory struts with KYB struts?

Finally, what’s the deal with these chip module things I see on ebay claiming they provide higher mileage and more horsepower? Are they legit?
Is there a way to improve gas mileage?

Pretty basic, I know, but I can read articles online for hours and still wouldn’t believe it as much as actually asking someone and having someone who knows answer.

Thx for the help.

KYB’s are much better then stock. however it totally depends on what your going for. theyre stiffer which makes for a bumpier ride, however their ideal for lowering springs.

as for those ebay shitty things, the old ones were just a resistor that made your ECT sensor read colder then it actually was…therefor making your car run richer. the new ones however claim they up gas milage so they probably just make you run leaner then stock at crusing and richer then stock when you put your foot into it.

either way their a joke.

And don’t be wasting your money on drilled brakes its useless in your case, but get kyb’s they’re really comfortable and you’ll probably enjjoy driving way more

Good show, thanks guys. I’m pickin the KYBs up this weekend :slight_smile:

shit man.
i’m the person to ask about first gen altimas.
kyb’s weren’t a good choice…
should have gotten tokico’s…
the kyb’s won’t last too long if you’re planning to modify your ride.

those chip modules are bullshit… they don’t do anything to the ecu.

So I replaced the rear struts with the KYBs, replaced rotors, pads and capilers, all on the rear.

Anyone know a local place to pick up a set of front struts for 1st gen alty?

Edit: and btw, even with just the rear KYBs on the ride difference is sick - it’s MUCH smoother… can’t wait to get the fronts on…