Someone school me on torrents

OKay, I have a macbook pro. I used to use limewire to download music. I just downloaded Xtorrent. Basically I can search for full album…or games for my mac. Now, if I want to download a movie (for instance I want to download used cars) do I use xtorrent? I already have it downloading but it takes like 5 hours.
There is also torrent sites correct? Like pirate bay ect…
Once I click on a torrent to download it starts downloading in limewire…is this the right way to do it?

Also…can I burn DVDs on my powerbook?

ugh…

let me re-read your post

OK! got it…

the .torrent file and you can open it up with any program that opens the torrent and it will start downloading…

or just read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrent

ooiooopsss this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.torrent

The new Limewire has a torrent client built into it. The difference is the way you download.

Limewire you connect, search, and download from someone. When you download a torrent, you need a client that can check for people who have the file and the program open and you download parts from each person. If no one is “seeding” the file, then you are gonna get none or shitty speeds. If its a popular file and people are seeding it, then you will get fast ones.

I don’t really want to know how they work…I want to know the best way to do it.

in other terms…I don’t want to know how a car engine works…i just want to know what the best car is and how to drive it. Get it?

Seriously just fucking read it… 5 minutes… and you understand what it is and probably the best way to Do it…

i read it…another question I have…I was watching my download speeds and it went from like 50kbs up to like 400kps…then back down after a minute…is there anyway I can keep it up that high…or does it just depend?

you download the file or what ever in pieces… so you can download from many people.

John - 300kb/s
Sally - 45 kb/s
Slutbox - 3 kb/s (getting lots of use :slight_smile: )

when you are downloading from all three at once (three pieces) you get a theoretical 348kb/s. John’s piece is done so until it reconnects with john you will only be at 48kb/s Also if john doesn’t have the pieces needed … then you’ll be at 48kb/s

if that makes sense

It does,kind of. I’m downloading a movie…how can someone only have a piece of the movie?

Well 1) depending on the movie… there may be 1 seeder and 5 leechers…

leechers do not have the entire file. where as the seeder does. if you are already connected to the seeder… then there wouldn’t be another connection to that person. the leechers might not have certain parts blah blah blah…

You’ll understand.

The perrson may only allow 3 uploads and he had 2 you connected to him then he connected to someone else … so you wouldn’t be able to connect to him again…

there are like 900 reasons

for osx i reccomend Transmission as a client

-its light
-easy to use, but has enough options for more advanced users
-it has a really cool dock icon

http://www.transmissionbt.com/

^^ problem with Transmission now for me is all my private sites banned it :frowning:

yea, my xp install has become valuable lately. When is utorrent going to get their osx development asses in gear?

^^^ hope soon. Thats the only other program I am currently waiting for, :tup: to Pokerstars being released!