Something nobody cares about.

Just tore up the Buffalo Firefighters’ physical exam in 7 minutes and 52 seconds. Just pumped about so why not tell a whole bunch of people i dont know through a message board? Peace!

nice

:tup:

lol…:tup: very cool

good job

Awesome job man! are you a voulenteer? If so maybe you can answer this question… I appreciate that there are people that do this stuff for no money and save lives and such but why is every one that i have ever met dress, talk, act like a complete tool?

haha, no im actually in the process of being a Buffalo firefighter. Buffalo is actually the only place around here that pays firemen, and its actually good money. Everywhere else is all volunteer. I mean to be honest, i would never do that shit for free.

:lol: So tell us what it involves?

Thats awesome man. Good luck

thats false… Niagara falls is all paid and north tonawanda has paid also

okay sir, ill give you the run down of exactly what you have to do. First off, its a pass/fail. You have 10 mins 20 seconds to complete it. they strap on a helmet and gloves, along with a fifty pound weight vest to simulate the breathing apparatus fire fighters wear. you wear the fifty pound vest for the entire test. There are 8 different events:

Event 1, Stair Climb:
In this event, you must wear an additional 12.5 lb weight on each shoulder. You walk on the StairMaster machine for three minutes at 60 steps per minute and you are not allowed to grasp the handrail or that constitutes a failure, if you dismount the stairmill, that is also a failure.

Event 2, Hose drag:
You grab a hose nozzle attached to 200 feet of hose and place it over your shoulder. You drag the hose with nozzle over your shoulder for 75 feet around a pre positioned drum to a marked off 5 X 7 foot box. Drop to one knee and pull the hoseline until the 50 foot mark on the hose line crosses the boundary lines on the box. if you lift one knee off the ground its a warning, a second infraction is a failure. (this is the only event you can run during).

Event 3, Equipment carry:
Remove two saws from a tool cabinet, one at a time, and place them on the ground. pick up both saws, one in each hand, and carry them while walking 75 feet around a drum, then back to the strating point. put both saws on the ground and place them back into the cabinet. If you drop a saw during this event its an automatic failure.

Event 4, Ladder Raise and extension:
Walk up to the top rung of a 24 foot extension ladder, lift the unhinged end from the ground, and walk it up until it is stationary against the wall. This must be done in a hand over hand motion, and you MUST touch every rung or you recieve a warning and the second infraction constitutes a failure. Move over to the ladder that is stationary against the wall. Stand within a 3 X 3 foot box, grab the rope and pull it so the ladder raises to its highest point. Then lower the ladder down in a CONTROLLED motion. If the ladder falls uncontrollably or you step out of the 3 X 3 box, automatic failure.

Event 5, Forcible entry:
You use a 10 lb sledgehammer to strike a measuring device in a target area until you activate a buzzer. if you do not maintain control of the hammer durring this event, its a failure.

Event 6, Search:
You must crawl through a tunnel maze that is approx. 3ft high and 4 ft wide and 64 feet in lengthe with 2 90 degree turns. In the tunnel there are areas that you must navigate over and under obstacles. and at 2 diffrent locations the dimensions of the tunnel are reduced. If you for some reason feel like you want to get out of the tunnel, its a failure.

Event 7, Rescue:
You must grasp a 165-pound mannequin by the handles on the shoulders of the harness on the mannequin, drag it 35 feet to a pre-positioned drum, make a 180 degree turn around the drum and continue an additional 35 ft to the finish line. You cannot grasp or rest on the drum. if you rest on the drum, its a warning, second time is a failure.

Event 8, Ceiling breach and pull:
You must remove the pike pole from the bracket, stand withing the boundary established by the equipment frame, and place the tip of the pole on the painted area of the hinged door in the ceiling. Fully push up the 60-ppound hinged door in the ceiling with the pike pole 3 times. Then, hook the pike pole to the 80-pound ceiling device and pull down 5 times. You must do 4 sets (one set is 3 pushing up and 5 pulling down).If you drop the pole once its a warning, second time is a failure.

If you fail any event, you fail the entire test.

Oh i was wrong then. Thank you for the info. I just knew that Dunkirk, Hamburg, OP and West Seneca was all volunteer so i assumed all were.

Hey man, props.

I know you listed everything in the exam, but have you navigated the underground maze full of smoke? My friend’s brother had to complete this in NYC before he could become a “legitimate” firefighter. Apparently it was intense.

the maze didnt have smoke, it was actually one of the easier ones.

Dang. That’s pretty crazy. I wouldn’t be able to do it. At least not without stopping for a beer in the middle. :lolno:

Ha ha, it was pretty intense. Luckily i quit smoking about a month ago. If i still smoked, there is no way i would have passed.

awesome

So you passed an exam to do a job that doesn’t pay you with flying colors?

Sounds like a raise is in your near future.

nice, you did all that in less than 8 minutes, gj

Well, it pays about $45,000 a year to start. And it also gives me a good reputation…But me passing it does not guarantee i get the job. It does guarantee i stay on the eligble list. This is the second part of the process, i passed the written and physical exams now. The physical exam should knock alot of people off the eligible list.

READ!