Speechless

Wow. This is truly shocking. I can’t even imagine how terrifying this was for the inhabitants.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

That’s pretty freaky looking at those pictures. I’m not sure I would want to ride through there. You get a windy day stirring things up…

it gives me an eery feeling lookin at all those pictures

:eek3:

did you see the baby doll in the abandoned kindergarden… there was a gas mask for a babydoll :frowning:

:cool:

i would hope that we all know the history of Chernobyl… the updated pictures are nice though.

Yes but I find it much more “real” after reading someones first hand account of the aftermath.

I think the kindergarden pictures are some the spookiest images I have ever seen. The whole area looks some kind of “bizarro” world or something.

Makes you think about how close we are to one of those things here in Pittsburgh…

Originally posted by turbovw18
i would hope that we all know the history of Chernobyl… the updated pictures are nice though.

i know the history but im gonna go search for more info on it! ill post up some links for the people that arent as familiar!

http://library.thinkquest.org/3426/

Recent studies find the Sarcophagus covering Reactor No. 4 to be full of holes. An engineering report stated that the stone coffin would collapse in an earthquake measuring 6 or more on the Richter scale. It is estimated that an earthquake of that magnitude should hit the Chernobyl region once every century. If this were to happen, it would release large clouds of radioactive dust that could once again blow around the earth.

:eek3: :eek3:

wells thats nice… :rolleyes:

Originally posted by paNX2K&SE-R

Makes you think about how close we are to one of those things here in Pittsburgh…
umm about the distance to the closest nuc. reactor…

Beaver Valley 1
05000334 PWR 17 MI W of McCandless, PA FirstEnergy Nuclear Operating Co. 1

Beaver Valley 2
05000412 PWR 17 MI W of McCandless, PA FirstEnergy Nuclear Operating Co. 1

http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operating/list-power-reactor-units.html

Very interesting reading… I knew of the accident and a little of the events leading up to it. For some reason stuff like that interests me.

i read up on dixmont a little bit ago. kinda interesting stuff there too.

there were several huge threads about this on OT recently. It really is interesting shit.

And as far as this shit happenning in the US, not gonna happen. US reactors have triple redundancy and containment facilities, completly unlike chernobyl. And the only reason chernobyl blewwas because they had disconnected half the secutiry features to run a test. stupid fucking russians.

They were going to change the fuel rods in the #3 reactor. Of course to do that you have to power down the reactor. So as they were reducing the power in the reactor they decided to do some testing to see how “slow” they could get it to run without stopping the reaction altogether.

So they started slowing down the reactor, which reduces power output, and the reactor automatic control systems are like “hey, the reactor is going too slow” so it tried to bring up the power. The controllers were like “Hm. The computer is interfering with our experiment” so they crawled behind the panel and disconnected the safety system.

So they’re slowing down the reactor again, which reduces the power output, and the reactor starts cooling off a little. So the other reactor safety system reduces coolant flow to the core, thinking “hey, the core is too cool, so that must mean there is too much water in there.” So the water flow goes down, and the reactor warms up again and the power output goes back up again. So the guys disconnect that automatic system too and again reduce power.

So now the reactor is slowing down, water flow is being reduced, which reduces water pressure in the core… as the pressure drops, suddenly it flashes to steam, which is much less able to transport heat out of the core, so the core starts heating up, and fast. But the automatic water system is disconnected now, so the heat is going up and the reaction rate is going up, which makes the heat go up faster. The controllers go “oh shit” and hit the emergency control-rod release, which should allow the control rods to free-fall into the reactor core and stop the reaction. Except that due to the now very high heat the fuel rods have expanded and the control rods only get in a little ways before they get stuck.

So the heat is going up and up, and the middle of the core starts to melt and drip into the bottom of the reactor vessel, which causes some chemical reaction and hydrogen starts being created from other mollecules that are there. Lots of it. Meanwhile the controllers hit the “emergency core flood” button, which is supposed to allow thousands of gallons of water to flow into the reactor vessel… except that the high pressure in the vessel basically keeps that water out. Some kind of spark in the vessel ignites the hydrogen and explodes the vessel, blowing the roof off the reactor building and the rest is history.

The first part of this experiment lasted a few hours… the runaway part only took about 30 seconds from the guys going “hmm… somethings not quite right” to the explosion.

how bout the part where it says the silence makes the people crazy or something like that i remember reading that the gaurds wear headfones to keep them from going crazy.

damn thats a nice lnk you have there shaggy

takin the thread away when you realize that it doesnt work huh?

you guys are ghey:rolleyes: I posted this a while in On-topic

http://www.ohiotrespassers.com/locations.html

click on the left. Some creepy shit to explore:D