Should we be scared?

Haha.

god dammit that is so awesome.

$8 billion dollars better spent elsewhere.

I like this part

Then there’s the matter of black holes.

Harvey Newman, a Caltech physicist who was one of the discoverers of the gluon and is leader of the U.S. contingent on the Compact Muon Solenoid experiment, said the collider could theoretically produce a mini-black hole by packing a tremendous amount of energy into a tiny space.

But he said the black hole would pose no threat because it would last only 10 to the minus-27th power seconds before decaying – hardly enough time to start gobbling up the French countryside.

Critics are not convinced. Just last month, Walter L. Wagner and Luis Sancho filed suit in U.S. District Court in Honolulu to block the start-up of the new collider until CERN produces a comprehensive safety report.

Speaking from Hawaii, Wagner said that despite assurances from scientists at CERN and around the world, there was no proof a mini-black hole would disappear. No one has ever seen it happen, said Wagner, who studied cosmic ray physics at UC Berkeley as a young man.

It’s just as possible that the tiny black hole would be stable and start chewing up normal matter, he said.

It could take years for it to become large enough to gobble up the Earth, but there’s no evidence that can’t happen, he said.

so when are they turning this thing on?

whos the asshole who divided by zero

This summer apparently.

Small black holes usually aren’t stable enough to last long and then implode on themselves and give off a specific radiation. That is how we can detect them.

There is a partical excelerator here in the states at a univerisity (cant remember which one) that does this already and has produced microscopic blackholes. They are only able to sustain for about the time listed in that document.

Very interesting read.

I believe its a little far fetched but its pretty wild that something research is doing has brought up a legit concern of producing a black hole that can grow enough to engulf the world.

pretty cool read.

“The collider will consume as much energy as all the households in Geneva, running up an annual electric bill of $30 million.”

daaayyyuuummm

and yet still no cure for the common cold…

shouldnt the title of this thread be “Should we be scared” and not
“Should be we scared”?

Fixed. Must have been the idea of being sucked into a black hole confused me words.

or you’ve got a thing for pirates… “me words” lol

AAAaaaarrrrrrrr

interesting read, physics is some crazy stuff

If I remember correctly it is because the rhinovirus mutates constantly…You can develop the cure for one, but there are trillions of different varieties.

Just like the flu.

They do some really cool experiments in particle physics. CERN being at the for front, they have been working on this for a long long time. Lets hope they find the graviton or just kill that theory.

Physicists are crazy mofo’s. When they tested the first atom bomb in New Mexico some of the scientists were placing side bets on whether or not they were about to ignite the atmosphere and destroy the world.

Ah well. I’m more scared of world destruction via Hillary than via particle physics. :stuck_out_tongue:

See avatar…:stuck_out_tongue: