the big bang

the machine that’s to be turned on this summer…

we are all going to die

if i did my calculations correctly, the entire universe should be sucked into this machine. I dont know i think i forgot to carry a 4 somewhere, so rhode island might be spared…

Rhode Island sucks.

It says in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPxYdObyJ2A&feature=related that it was going to be tested in november of 2007… Maybe it dint work lol.

And what are we going to learn out of the $16 billion that was spent on it?

^ how to save $15,999,999,999.00

isnt this the one there using to create anti-matter? they have a stockpile thats kept in constant motion but if it were ever to touch matter including the sides of the device itself it wil cause a black hole i heard is was an impact equall to all the nuclear warheads in the world going off at the same time. But also once they get enough antimatter the may be able to make spacecraft that will travel the speed of light.

Actually Quite a bit…

what is it really for…

:lolham:

what a dumb dumb.

SMASHIN PARTICLES!!

i have actually been following this little fellar for about a year now. Not being a physics professor i dont know much about the subject. i am however very interested to see what the outcome will be. apparently a group of highly regarded scientists tried to have the program canceled but no dice on that front. the part that sucks is unless something big and un cover uppable happens we wont really know what they find.

Actually i just searched and i was exactally right they are creating anti-matter and when anti-matter touches matter BOOM

lol

Sort of. That’s kind of the hollywood version of the truth.

The ATHENA project has managed to keep antihydrogen atoms from annihilation for tens of seconds — just enough time to briefly study their behaviour.

The reaction of 1 kg of antimatter with 1 kg of matter would produce 1.8×1017 J of energy, or the rough equivalent of 47 megatons of TNT. For comparison, Tsar Bomba, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated produced an estimated 57 Mt

Antimatter production is currently very limited, but has been growing at a nearly geometric rate since the discovery of the first antiproton in 1955.[citation needed] The current antimatter production rate is between 1 and 10 nanograms per year, and this is expected to increase to between 3 and 30 nanograms per year by 2015 or 2020 with new superconducting linear accelerator facilities at CERN and Fermilab.

Ok, the bomb Fry’s post mentioned was the coolest/scariest thing I’ve read this week.

The Tsar Bomba was flown to its test site by a specially modified Tu-95V release plane which took off from an airfield in the Kola peninsula, flown by Major Andrei E. Durnovtsev. The release plane was accompanied by a Tu-16 observer plane that took air samples and filmed the test. Both aircraft were painted with a special reflective white paint to limit heat damage.

The bomb, weighing 27 tonnes, was so large (8 meters long by 2 m in diameter) that the Tu-95V had to have its bomb bay doors and fuselage fuel tanks removed. The bomb was attached to an 800 kilogram fall-retardation parachute, which gave the release and observer planes time to fly about 45 km from ground zero.

The Tsar Bomba detonated at 11:32 a.m. on October 30, 1961 over the Mityushikha Bay nuclear testing range (Sukhoy Nos Zone C), north of the Arctic Circle on Novaya Zemlya Island in the Arctic Sea. The bomb was dropped from an altitude of 10,500 m; it was designed to detonate at a height of 4,000 m over the land surface (4,200 m over sea level) by barometric sensors.[citation needed]

The original U.S. estimate of the yield was 57 Mt, but since 1991 all Russian sources have stated its yield as 50 Mt. Khrushchev warned in a filmed speech to the Communist parliament of the existence of a 100 Mt bomb (technically the design was capable of this yield). The fireball touched the ground, reached nearly as high as the altitude of the release plane, and was seen and felt 1,000 km away. The heat from the explosion could have caused third degree burns 100 km away from ground zero. The subsequent mushroom cloud was about 60 km high (nearly seven times higher than Mount Everest) and 30–40 km wide. The explosion could be seen and felt in Finland, even breaking windows there.[5] Atmospheric focusing caused blast damage up to 1,000 km away. The seismic shock created by the detonation was measurable even on its third passage around the Earth.[6] Its Richter magnitude was about 5 to 5.25.

Since 50 Mt is 2.1×1017 joules, the average power produced during the entire fission-fusion process, lasting around 39 nanoseconds[citation needed], was about 5.4×1024 watts or 5.4 yottawatts. This is equivalent to approximately 1.4% of the power output of the Sun. [1]

The detonation of Tsar Bomba is the single most physically powerful device ever utilized throughout the history of humanity. By contrast, the largest weapon ever produced by the United States, the now-decommissioned B41, had a predicted maximum yield of 25 Mt, and the largest nuclear device ever tested by the US (Castle Bravo) yielded 15 Mt (due to a runaway reaction; the design yield was approximately 5 Mt).

PARODY THREAD:

Title: the big bag
Body: [ img ] insert pic of GSX here [ /img ]

The fireball touched the ground, reached nearly as high as the altitude of the release plane, and was seen and felt 1,000 km away. The heat from the explosion could have caused third degree burns 100 km away from ground zero. The subsequent mushroom cloud was about 60 km high (nearly seven times higher than Mount Everest) and 30–40 km wide. The explosion could be seen and felt in Finland, even breaking windows there.[5] Atmospheric focusing caused blast damage up to 1,000 km away. The seismic shock created by the detonation was measurable even on its third passage around the Earth.[6] Its Richter magnitude was about 5 to 5.25.

My. God. Einstein was right. WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones.