(SR) Modifying Rocker Arms

Hey, has anyone upgraded their valve springs and retainers on an SR? And did you have to modify the rocker arms for the retainers?

I’m in the middle of upgrading to Tomei type B valve springs and retainers and included in the box was a paper instructing to shave the rocker arms…

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~taesoo/SRHead/RockerARm.bmp

I’m just wondering, has anyone upgraded to these and not modified the rocker arms? Also, anyone know of a place that could do this for me?

Thanks.

Jon

if you go to www.ontariomotorsports.ca i think
in the thread section under nissan, then project builds, then “how to build a 9000rpm sr20det head” you will find all you need.
ill copy nad past some minus the pics

Installation Part 3
I will go over how to shim solid lifters properly. Ignore this section if you are going with HLAs as they use different method of shimming.
English version of the Tomei Solid Lifters Manual
Please read this as well. Translated by yours truely.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/...h.pdf
You need to get your rocker arm cut like shown as recommended by Tomei. The following is actually copied from Tomei’s manual. I think this is necessary because the solid lifter is higher than your normal HLA so when the cam lobe pushes on the rocker arm, the tip might dig into the shim. Also more chance of this happening with high lift cams.

I took mine to the machine shop and they did a fairly nice job.

Tomei sells test kits that have 2.7mm and 2.8mm sizes. According to their manual, you use 2.7mm on the exh side and 2.8mm on the intake side. You can see that the ones marked 2700 are 2.7mm and 2800 are 2.8mm. So when you measure cam clearance in intake side, use 2.8mm and use 2.7mm for the exhaust side.

yea i have that same write up from nico forum as well as zilvia bookmarked on my computer. But that guy is running solid lifter, mine are stock, i’ve only upgraded the valve springs and retainers.

also i’m looking for a place around here (local) that can shave them for me…

Jon

Sorry to bump a thread from the dead, but when upgrading to BC 272 cams, retainers and titanium springs… is it necessary to shim when using the stock lifters?

John
The old clip I had had a Tomei head setup and the rockers were shimmed
I think its necessary

i think he knows by now…

lol

on stock internals, redtop needs no shaving notchtop does

If I remember right