sr20det cams...

I’m looking into purchasing new cams, just wondering what others suggest as far as different brands, what to stay away from, things to look out for and so on. I’m only really looking at upgrading to stage 1, and came across HKS cams that do not require upgrading springs/retainers etc. Gimme your thoughts and suggests.

i think they’re all the same, just go with the duration and lift you want. I’m getting myself some HKS Stage 2 because valve springs are only extra $200 US or so? How much additional labour is it to put it in, that I don’t know. I wonder if it is possible to run the stage 2 without over reving it too much.
Btw I get these cams cheap.

If you’re a baller check out JWT’s lineup, they have nice stuff even in a ‘stage1’. If you want to go for simplicity and something cheaper HKS is the way to go.

it is going to cost a few hundred more in labour to do all that headwork.

cut the valves and seating them properly and all that jazz… it was $500+ to do the valve train work on our shop KA.

i would recommend that if you are not going to be a super baller 400whp monster you should simply go with Stage 1 cams that do not require valve train upgrades and install some rocker arms stoppers.

very basic and much cheaper and easier to install. Also, smaller cams will create fewer tuning issues, getting your idel right on big cams is difficult if you dont have alot of control (full EMS)

Check out TOMEI’s lineup of cams. great options, good quality and you dont need to upgrade your valvetrain unless you go big.

I will hopefully be running a set of 256s sometime this summer.

i’m quite confident tomei cams make the most power, but thats just hearsay

swapping valve springs isnt that tricky if you have something to pressurize the chamber with, otherwise you kidna have to pull the head off

only go with crower or ferra valve springs boys

Last time I checked tomei only has one set of cams that don’t require upgraded valvetrain and that is their 256 PONCAM. The rest of their stuff is all PROCAMs which require springs, etc.

now, as far as the cam swap goes, what other things should i look out for? Would cam bearings have to be changed/upgraded as well?

Last time I checked tomei only has one set of cams that don’t require upgraded valvetrain and that is their 256 PONCAM. The rest of their stuff is all PROCAMs which require springs, etc.[/quote]

You are correct. Hence why Ill be running the 256 PONCAMs

where would be the best place to purchase these? I dont care about buying off the net, where would be the cheapest place to go to?

Camshafts don’t have bearings, they ride on the journals between the head and cap.

dammit, that’s what i thought, but a buddy of mine was saying something about bearings so i figured i would double check before missing something

p.s. a journal is a type of bearing

In the case of a camshaft I guess you could call it that. Id love to see a crank ride on the journals without bearings though. Anyone want to donate a motor for experimentation?

i’ve done HKS cams for several people in the past few weeks, i can also get the PONCAMS but they are more expensive.

HKS step ones in 256 or 264 are $500 cdn tax in.

i run 256 intake and 264 exhuast, everyone i have brought them up for runs 264 on both

id go with pon cam i believe they have an option for 264ex