Stippy's 86' Trans Am

lt1 6spd in s-10 so much fun :mullet:

Sold the T5 Tranny & Accessories for $170 :slight_smile:

I have a 85 S10 with a 383 in it and all it does is spin. That is with 275/60r15s in the back.

Anyways. Nice build you have going there. Not many people rock the 3rd gen f-bodies anymore. One word of advice is to make sure you get good gaskets for everything because the gen 1 sbc is notorious for leaking oil.

Maybe I missed it, but do you have a set of heads yet? I have a set back in Georgia that I will sell you. They are pro topline iron heads. They have 67cc chambers and all the ports have been smoothed. 2.02-1.60 valves. Never been installed. I did lose one spring retainer though.

The S10 is still an enjoyable ride tho right?

Heads are next on my list. Ive found Jegs has some Aluminum Canfield knockoffs for $640 an Assembled Head. 215c Runners, 64cc Chambers, & 2.100’’ Intake and 1.600’'.

What do you think of those?

think there was a set on craiglist local. pretty cheap if i recall for aluminum heads. might be worth checking out.

These?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/970164968.html

The price is right, but I need something a little bigger. Those have 170cc Runners which is too small for my 400.

Nice looking project. Looking forward to seeing the end product.

go with the canfield 215’s or save another 200 for AFR 210’s. I should sell my 195’s and get 210’s for my next project but oh well. 210’s are great for a 400 tho. 87 TA went high 10’s with AFR 195’s the old port design. The new eliminators are better! 210’s will fly

Yeah like I said at Thirdgen.org Ill be going with the Canfields. They look like some good heads from what Ive read online, and I cant beat the price.

I might have found a TH400 for my build. Guy wants $200 for it, and its a rebuilt transmission. He says he bought it to put in his 75’ Camaro, but sold the car to buy a DD and kept the tranny. Says he has the receipt for it showing he paid about $800. Im going to look at it/buy it Friday.

Now the tranny was rebuilt to handle 400 HP, and Ill be pushing a little more than that. I think Im just gonna throw it in the car and when it goes I get it rebuilt by my buddys Unlce for a reasonable amount. I figure doing it this way Im saving about $1100 from buying one from Summit for about $1300. If I had more money I might do it differently, but thats not the case lol. As for a manual valvebody if this tranny doesnt have one how hard/much is it to install one?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk104/Stippy18/cid__1204081534.jpg

If you are driving this on the street, you don’t really want a manual valve body. It really isn’t needed. BTW a stock TH400 will handle 400 hp easily. A stock TH400 could probably take a whole lot more. Probably one of the best automatic transmissions ever built.

Yes I plan on driving this on the street daily. If not a manual valvebody, how about a shift kit? If it was built to stock specs I doubt it had a shift kit put it. Is that something I can do myself?

I knew TH400s were strong, thats why I want to use it. :slight_smile: I already bought my Torque Arm and Crossmember for a TH400.

Manual valve bodies rule…just make sure it is reverse-pattern though.

After having one, I would never go back to a regular auto.

thats what i’d say. As long as you keep the tranny cool, a manual valve body would be awesome to have, especially at the track to dial in shift points. No playing with governors or w/e to control shifts.

for a DD it just is a pain in the ass IMHO. Why not just put a manual trans in it (other than cost).

I would have no interest in a manual only ‘automatic’.

1. Automatics are better for racing.
  2. You CAN’T miss a shift like you can with a manual!!

I just absolutely LOVE mine…but then again, mine’s not a DD either…

I know & agree with both of those answers.

Like I said, not the best for a DD.

Ill probably just throw it in there to save money, and if I want to put a manual valvebody in later I can.

I just got home from picking it up. Guy said he had a shift kit put in it so thats good. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Im gonna clean it up and paint it. Now will engine paint work or do I need something that can withstand more heat?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk104/Stippy18/TH400004.jpg

engine paint, just clean it up very well. Fully degrease it and such. My block held engine paint just fine and i didnt primer it

Sounds good. I didnt prime my block either just cleaned as best I could and painted right over the old paint.

From this:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk104/Stippy18/TH400004.jpg

To this:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk104/Stippy18/TH400008.jpg

Didnt have to buy anything I had everything I needed already. I just degreased the whole think wiped it down and gave it a coat.

Just picked up a TH400 Tranny Mount for it. It was about $6, so I grabbed it. I wanted to get 2 or 3 Qts of tranny fluid, but they didnt have anything I liked. I also put a 2nd coat on the tranny, so it should be good to go now.

see what happens when I sleep in and goto the mall? I miss this shit.