Stippy's 86' Trans Am

Well Ive already started on the build a few months ago, so Ill just have to catch you guys up on whats been done so far.

Day after I bought her, the kid is my little brother lol:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk104/Stippy18/untitled.jpg

I bought the car about 3 years ago when I was 15 for $400, I sold the 305 that came with it separetely for $200. So I had a running 1986 Firebird SE 2.8l 5 Speed on my hands. It took the better half of 2 years to switch out all of the old interior from Dark Grey/Grey to Dark Grey/Black & prepping, primering, and painting the body. The previous owner had started to turn it into a Trans Am with the Front/Rear Bumper covers he put on but he didnt have many more ground effects pieces so I had to scrounge for them.

What it looked like when I was ready to put it on the street this summer:

Now Im on the the Drivetrain of the car. My plans are pretty simple being this is my first build. I want:

V8 Swap
About 400 WHP
Mid-High 11s in 1/4 Mile
Manual to Automatic Swap

This is what I have done:

August 13th:

I bought my 400 SBC today. The plan is to drop it in the Bird’ with as close to 400 HP as I can get it and try to run high 11s / low 12s with it. I dont know how I got so lucky, but its the most sought after 400 block out there (3951509). It has the 1% Tin and 2% Nickel added to the block, AND I found out its known as a ‘cheater’ block when I looked up the number because its the only 400 casting with 2 freeze plugs instead of 3. So at a quick glance it would appear its a 350 and not a 400. Im excited to get this project underway.

Also, its a 2 bolt which is stronger than the 4 bolt 400s.

400 SBC
Engine Stand

Total: $400

October 11th:

Little update on the 400 SBC. Ive got it torn down to where I want it, and Ive started to clean up the pistons and cylinder walls. Everything is cleaning up really nice, some of the parts like the Lifters and the Cam Bearings and a few other things look pretty new, so this block was rebuilt at some point. Heres a list of all the parts I ordered so far:

Fel-Pro Gasket Set
Moroso Race Oil Filter
Proform Gear Drive Set
Moroso Oil Pan, Pickup, & High Volume Pump
Summit Chrome Oil Dipstick
Gloss Black Engine Paint
Proform Water Pump
Edelbrock High Volume Fuel Pump

Total: $887
Shipping: $24

October 23rd:

Im still holding off on heads, cam, and intake for now while I still research all the options I have, but I have bought some useful parts for the build.

16" Gold GTA Wheels w/ Gold Center Caps $100
225/60/16 Tires (To Break in Engine) $40
Electric Fan Free
SBC Power Steering Pump, Cooling Line, & Brackets $25
3" Exhaust including Headers & hollowed-out Catback $25

Total $190

October 28th:

I just ordered alot of my suspension components Ill need. Including:

UMI Panhard Bar & Lower Control Arms $170
UMI TH400 Torque Arm, Crossmember, & Hardware $380
UMI Wonder Bar $52
UMI Subrame Connectors $180

I also bought a Cowl Hood I found on Craigslist:

2 1/2 Cowl Induction Hood $200

Total: $982
Shipping: $105

November 14th:

Ive bought my V8 Cluster for the swap, it has 51k original miles too. Ive also bought a Comp Cams .525/.525 Solid Cam & Lifter Set.

V8 Cluster $45 Shipped
Comp Cam $200 Shipped

I installed a few things on the block last night., including:

Cam & Lifters
Gear Drive
Fuel Pump
Timing Cover

November 20th:

I installed the Cluster tonight. Didnt take very long, and it wasnt too hard. Now that the V6 Cluster is out I can add that to the list of parts I can sell.

November 28th:

I bought a few more parts.

Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
750 cfm Speed Demon Carb w/ Mech Secondaries
PowerMaster 140 Amp Alternator

Ive already painted the Intake Gloss Black to match the Block, now its time to buy Heads and start pulling the V6 Drivetrain.

November 29th:

Started to dig into the car, and had the whole drivetrain out within 3 hours. I will sell off the Tranny & Accessories, but the engine block and suspension parts I am replacing will just be scrapped.

December 19th:

Ive removed all of the wiring harness on the Passenger side of the engine bay, and now all I have to do is along the back of the firewall and the Driver side. Im going to have to pick up a Blower Motor from a car that didnt have AC, because I am keeping it but not the AC and it is one unit.

I have about 85% of the engine bay painted. I went with a Silver Metallic, it looks fairly nice. Once I finish the wiring on the Driver side I can finish painting.

Cell pic of the Cowl Hood & 16" Gold Wheels:

Engine Bay after V6 was pulled:

Engine Bay as of now: (Not done)

400 SBC:

Ill continue to add to this when I have updates. If you have any questions, comments, or help by all means post up. :boink

Manual to Automatic? :nuts:

Damn, looks good bro!

I really need to get cracking on mine.

The manual that was in the car was a T-5 for the V6 so its useless for my V8 Swap. An Automatic that will hold up to 400-450HP is $900-1300 and a Manual is about $3k. Im 18 and still in school so this is a budget build. An Auto with a Manual ValveBody seems the way to go. Besides, I want more consistant track times.

Thanks Noah, you still plan on an LS1 for yours? Yours will be equally as sick when its done lol.

Yep :smiley:

Nice, how close are you to getting ready for the swap?

$6,000. Hahahaha. I’m planning for it to occur fall of next year, but realistically it wont be this summer but the following.

Nice, your definetely getting there.

Looks like you’re making a lot of progress. If you ever need a tool or a hand and I can help, feel free to holler.

Yeah not to be a smart ass but after alot of people on here said Id never be able to swap a 400 SBC into my Bird’ it just made me want to do it more. Its coming along, slowly but its getting there.

Where in Rostraver are you? Your probably damn close. I live right up the hill from the Sheetz on 51 in Belle Vernon. I could probably use your help here and there. :slight_smile:

I do like that hood. Should have gotten one for mine.

Thats probably the part Im most proud of so far lol. I found it browsing around on Craigslist for $200. I couldnt pass it up, I love the way it looks. Alot cheaper than the Ram Air Hood I wanted to get, thats for sure.

That is a good deal. Looks to be in great condition.

looks like you’ve spent a good bit of money on it so far and it is lookin good!

ever cross your mind to just toss an LS1 & 6spd in it? dunno how that would compare to the 400SB

I thought so too. I guess it was on a car they were scrapping and they thought theyd see if they could get some money out of it seeing as it wasnt metal lol. Wish I coulda got there before they scrapped it, it may have had useful parts lol.

Yup I thought about an LS1/6 Spd but there were a few reasons I decided against it.

1. I wanted to be a little different, because people swap in LS1s everyday, unlike 400 SBCs that are hard to come by.

2. Cost, it was easier for me to buy the engine for $400, tear it down, and buy parts for it gradually. It woulda taken a long time for me to save up to buy the ECM, Tranny, & LS1 as a package like Noah is trying to do.

3. I plan on buying a 99-02’ LS1 Trans Am hopefully this Summer, and both cars having the same engine I think would get old.

I have my reasons lol… :burnout:

Nice project. Looks like you have put a lot of time and thought into it. Good luck!

your car is a slow turd.

right now.

me and a buddy put a 400 in his S10 when we were like 17-18. thing never got on the road besides the one he lived on. It lifted the front wheels about 3 inches off the ground the first time we took it out tho

I plan to get mine a little further down the road than that lol. But I hear nothing but good things about swapping in 400s when they are done right. I can easily believe that S10 lifted up. :blue:

My next project is either gonna be dropping a SBC into an 82-93 S10, or buying a 99-02’ Trans Am. All depends on how my car is running, how much $ I have, and what I can get a deal on.