stupid heater, im freezing

Well as nature has decided to bless us with horizontal snow the last 18 hours ive been awake, and wonderful dreary dismal weather all week, i have been inspired to turn on the heater in my silvia…except all i get is cold air! This doesnt help at all, especially when i have to have it on full blast to keep from fogging up. My heater has always been sketchy in this car and lately has decided to get stuck on either full blast or full freeze, usually the opposite of whatever i want :axe: I remember reading somewhere that there is something behind the dash that likes to shit the bed, but of course i cant find that now. Any ideas?

heater core?

Not sure if the Silvia heater senses cabin temperature, but I know the GTR climate control measures outside temp and inside temp to decide how to keep you comfy.

If one of the sensors goes, you need to replace it or just jumper the correct pins with a resistor that makes it think something reasonable. GTRCanada and Skylines Australia have lot’s of info on this.

Hope that helps.

Dan

yeah our cars (silvia/180) have climate control as well. my car doesnt get great heat either, but i think its because the previous owner in japan took out the thermostat… car never warms up :lol:

well i did the tried and true, swear at it and wiggle it and now it is stuck on full heat, which i guess is better in the snow.

Does ure coolant temp get up to the middle on the guage?, if not the ure thermostat is done. Had the same problem last year, $20, and a jug of coolant later i have awsome heat. And the temp sensor for the climate control only apply if u set the fan control to auto on the non digital ones. If u set it to say deforst it then does watever u want it to.

yup car warms up to middle of the gauge, and its on defrost.

k then i dout its ure thermstat.(mine was rusted open because the person i japan who owned it b4 me just used water, not a coolant) maybe the heater core is plugged.

I know nothing about silvias…
but with my car, It would always blow hot air with or with out ac on. When it was still summer and super hot it pissed me off to the point I replaced all the vacuum lines I could find going from the engine bay into the cabin under my dash. I dont know what was leaking, but since I replaced the lines to those little vacuum bags under my dash. I get cold air when its hot or vice versa. So maybe you have some sort of a vacuum leak that controls what air enters your vents?

mine is either stuck open or just doesnt have a thermostat. in the last few days my temp gauge never makes it past 25% on the temp gauge :lol: