Subaru Sway Bars?

Any local guys running larger than stock sway bars (even more specifically on STi’s)

I got a pretty amazing deal on a cusco 22mm front and 22mm adjustable rear, and was planning on throwing them on with some kartboy endlinks.

I was just wondering if anyone had any setups they found ideal for balancing over and understeer.

With my gangstah ass S Techs, I was going to run the rears at 23mm and hope that is a good balance but obviously I wont know untill I drive the car for myself. (Negative camber in the front?)

Any track or auto x guys wanna guide me on the right path.

dumb question,
but, will a stiffer rear sway give you more oversteer?
Or is it the other way around?

get rid of those shitty as springs to start

it should stiffen things a bit. the stock sway bar is pretty good on the sti but the end links are the weakpoint.

What is your whole setup and what do you plan to do with the car?

yea, i’ve bent 3 of 4 so far :stuck_out_tongue:

yes a stiffer rear bar will give you more oversteer

A stiffer front will also give you less understeer at the entrance of the corner (calling it ‘more oversteer’ isn’t really correct imho).

If you have a massive front sway and a dinky rear (this is assuming the springs are balanced neutrally), you’ll turn in wonderfully then plow through the rest of the turn as the weight shifts to the outside rear wheel.

On the opposite, with a stock front sway and a massive rear, you’ll enter the corner like a wet noodle and the back end will come around at apex, sometimes abruptly and violently.

But as far as what you picked up, its a nice combo of stiffer all around. If you feel like you’re plowing through corners, you can knock the rear up a notch for more oversteer at apex/exit.

There is a happy ratio of spring rates to sway bar stiffness. Comparing sway bars with other local people won’t really help unless you have the same springs.

Your effective theoretical roll center will move toward the stiffer sway bar. So, if you want the car to rotate around the front, add stiffness to the front. As the rule, if you want it to move the rotating axis toward the rear, stiffen up the rear. Keep in mind that roll centers are dynamic, turn dependent. The characteristics of a the car (weight distribution, driven wheels ect…) can’t be completely compensated for. My STI handles pretty darn neutral with stock springs and shocks, using Whiteline adjustable sways on the stiffest settings.

Also, how you drive matters. If you throw yourself into the turns too hard, no suspension will help you :slight_smile: