Taking a car off the road for winter

Sounds like you aren’t getting the cheapest winter policy then. The insurance company actually trusts you not to drive the car during the winter? Mine doesn’t. I’ve had allstate and geico. Both required the plates to be returned. However, I haven’t stored a car in about 3-4 years, so policy MAY have changed.

Allstate told me I needed to turn in the plates to get the bare minimum needed. DMV told me they don’t hold standard plates just vanity ones.

I’m starting to hate Allstate. They make everything difficult. I’ve got 4 cars on the road and a spotless record, and I’m over 25. No cheap insurance for “historical” vehicles that barely get driven. They have them all down as over 15K miles a year (or whatever the number is) and want me to prove mileage with maintenance receipts that I don’t and will never have. I insured one through Hagarty but still have to deal with them for the others.

My allstate guy is really cool and totally works with me to get the best pricing.

Mine too, otherwise I would have left long ago. It’s the company, not the agent unfortunately. I hate paying full price for old cars that are driven 1000 miles a year. I’m an insurers dream- perfect record, 4 cars and one driver, no claims and no collision coverage.