Taking a car off the road for winter

I did a quick search for this, but couldnt find anything. Wondering if anyone can give me a few tips/point me in the right direction.

I just bought a winter car, and Im going to be taking my current vehicle off the road for winter. I was planning on calling my insurance company and switching my policy to the winter car in a week or so.

Ive heard that the insurance company will notify the dmv when a car becomes uninsured, which is fine, since it wont be on the road at all anymore. But will my registration get revoked? Im new to New York and dont know their policies on such a thing. In California you could register a car as a temporary non-op until you wanted it back on the road.

If the registration does get pulled, do I have to re-register, and re-pay all over again come spring? Is there a way to just temporarily take the car off the road for winter?

I figured there would be a number of people here who have separate winter and summer vehicles, so any advice/details on your experience would help.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Just transfer the tags between the vehicles. I used to switch between summer/winter cars and just rotated the same plate. It was just like a fifteen dollar fee or something like that I’m sure it’s more now.

i switch vehicles allll the time.
go to dmv, pay for tax title and transfer.

if the winter vehicles title is already in your name, itll be dirt cheap, cost me ten bucks to transfer my plates from one jeep to another.

I guess thats where I was getting confused. In California you register the car, but in NY your register yourself?

So I can just keep the registration for me to drive, and swap the car on file that I’ll be driving? If that’s correct, I think I get it.

no, once the TITLE is in your name of the new vehicle, you just transfer the registration and tags. you’ll get a new sticker for the glass, but you just swap the tag between them. you cannot remove the insurance until you have removed the plate (and registration)

well the registration is for ‘a’ car and a certain set of plates. the registration is good until it expires, you can switch vehicles as many times as you want

you can put ‘storage’ insurance on your car, which will allow you to keep plates on it but (with geico, for example) you can only drive it 4 miles per policy term. But it does save the hassle of going to the dmv the first day its nice out and you want to go.

Plus its nice having 2 cars just in case one breaks down and you need to run and get parts or something

yeah this is backwards.

you cant transfer plates without having insurance on the new vehicle.

and nobody in the state puts a second car on the road for 15 minutes and then cancels the second policy.

I always borrow a car, go to my insurance, transfer insurance, then go right up the road to dmv and transfer plates.
never an issue.

Does your insurance allow you to suspend during off-season? That is what I do, I call them when it comes off the road, I pay for collateral/fire/theft, and I don’t have to unregister it.

To switch to fire/theft insurance, they make you turn in the license plates.

Not to hijack thread but for real? That’s what I was planning on doing this winter, never did it but reading this might make me change my mind.

Ya already talked to my insurance, to get the most savings, I’d have to turn in my plates. Now just gotta figure out how much keeping the white plate is worth to me. lol

i used to do the whole switch plates take ins off and such, eventually said screw it and i just leave my truck on the road year round with both reg and insurance. ended up being cheaper for me. also just easier to not have to deal with it

2 choices - 1. add the winter car to your policy, then go to the dmv, have proof of insurance faxed there, and pay tax, title, and tags

1. you could add the car to your policy, have someone take you to the dmv, fill out a plate transfer form at the dmv (iirc transfer is $7.50) fax proof to the dmv, pay tax title and transfer fee, have someone drive you back to the new car, call your insurance company and take the summer car off of your policy

ive always just found it easier to pay the $50 or so for a new reg, you dont want to be in a bind when the beater breaks down. then again, ive always driven cars that are suuuuper cheap to insure

if you cancel your insurance on the car you need to have a number the dmv will give you for the plate surrender or plate transfer in order to have it taken off of your policy

ugh a lotttttt. i am thinking of seeing if I can switch the plates on my two cars so I can get a white set on the bmw

I always just switch the plate over to the other car and pay fire and theft for the car that is sitting. Transferring the plates was always quick and easy and it was the cheapest option for me. Like others said, go threw the insurance first then go to the DMV.

I take my car off the road for the winter and store it with fire/theft on it. I take my plates to the DMV and they store them for the winter. In the spring I activate full coverage and put the same plates back on my car.

This whole “yellow plate” thing really throws a stick in my spokes. I have 4 cars registered with blue plates and want to keep it that way. One is a daily, one is insured as a classic, so they are fine, but my other 2 should come off the road this month. A dmv worker told me she herself could hold the blue plates for me at that office and keep them until spring, so I’m hoping that will work. If not- can you swap registrations and plates between 2 vehicles you own? I would just swap my Jeep DD with my Jetta to keep the good plates for that.

thanks for all the responses everyone, theyve really helped out. i plan on insuring the car early this week, swapping the plates this weekend (sat dmv), and un-insuring my current vehicle come monday.

quick question though, can i put the title in my name AND transfer the plates at the same time?

Man you guys do it differently then me. I put my Camaro’s into winter mode. I call State Farm and tell them what I am doing and they take all the coverage off except for fire/theft. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TURN IN YOUR PLATES! Each car has its own set of plates and registration and insurance. It costs me $50ish for 6 months like this. They have a maximum amount of time you can do this for as well. It automatically re-instates full driving after a certain date (like June 1st or something). The benefits of doing it like this is that I never have to go to the DMV, ever. That first super nice day we get in early March, I simply pick up the phone and call my agent and say, “put my black Camaro back on the road for me”. Done deal. It takes 2 minutes.

Seriously? I was always under the impression that you had to turn them in- I’ve been doing it for years. I’d love to skip the whole DMV mess.