Tape backup solutions...

so. i need a tape backup solution.

I’m not a network admin and need a recommendation.

roughly 10tb of storage capacity (will double over the next year)

gig network.

i would like something automated that would have the capability to do differential backups.

well, differential backups is all in the software… i’ve always had good results with CA Arcserve.

as far as 10TB in tapes… yeouch, you are going to need an autoloader, I think the largest single tape is 1.4tb (Quantum DLT-S4) on max compression. I could totally be wrong since we have not updated our tape backup in quite a while? Anyways, quantum makes some nice drives, that’s what we use.

edit: Umm, this is not personal storage right? If so I would highly recommend not using tapes as it is hella costly. If it’s for business I would still strongly consider disk to disk backup for that much data.

^
Now we’re talking. Network Attached Storage is probably the way to go with this one.

HP has quite a few decent solutions. Check them out…
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/disk_storage/index.html

Arcserve is also what I’ve seen being used in conjunction with an HP NAS system.

if this is for sarbanes compliance or something for offsite then yea, tape is probably the easiest option. All though a DFS share to an offsite facility would work if it is just to prove business continuity plans exist.

I guess just need to know what the main reason behind it is… tape storage is really not that great for large data stores. Do you need tapes for archiving, or is it purely for business continuity/disaster recovery?

+1

You have money…look into a MAID setup :wink:

and 10tbs? of data are you using a SAN?

You better be using a SAN.

We have offsite AND tape backups… we use a Dell Autoloader with some ancient ass Veritas Backup exec software - kinda dumb software, but it does what it needs to do.

2 5tb shares… no san yet. thats in 6 months :).

off-site is an option. im using hard drives now, but its a pita to manage.

You converting those xraids to xsan?

not yet. 6 months maybe - we might double capacity.

I had to use Veritas once. I couldn’t stand it. I use ArcServe religiously.

Offsite for 10TB (or 20TB if you double capacity) of data would KILL your Internet connection unless you’re using an OC-3 or bigger. But as was said previously, disk to disk sounds like the best option for that much data.

A lot offsite back ups use differential backup to get around the bandwidth issue…

bandwidth wont be an issue.

BALLIN

True. Guess it would depend on how much data is changing per day.

Nice. What’s your connection?

whatever I want within reason… we work with multiple isp’s and price is not an issue. seriously.

The DoD is starting to use MAID technology now…basically a bunch of hard drives in a cage…and it treats the HDs like tapes…