ATTN: Nerds - info/suggestions/recommendations for a tape backup drive...

I know some of you are nerds. No need to be ashamed. Anyways, I am looking into getting a new tape backup system. Right now we use 30/60 ADR tapes and have exceeded their capacity. We’re looking towards 100/200 range. Preferably IDE but SCSI is doable. It’s been awhile since I’ve had to mess with tape drives so I am looking for even the most basic of info towards some new gear. Maybe even a robot or someting to work with our current drive but I have never seen one for this particular drive. Ideally it would backup 100gb in an instant, never have any problems, be free, and install itself… but somewhere close to that is ok too. Thanks.

i backup about 1.9 terabytes a night (19 - 23 hours)

i use ultraium 2 tapes

i have an hp autoloader 1016? it’s a 16 tape robotic library.

ultraiums are 200/400 gig tapes… most likely the best way to go… 100 gig in an instant is doable with those.

Not with our server! HAH!

I’ll check into this device you mention. 200/400 is way more than we’ll need in the foreseeable future so I doubt that would go over well with Boss-man.

I’ve been trying to get him to get a new file server and slap the cost of a decent tape drive on top of it. So far he hasn’t cracked.

i have an hp storageworks autoloader 1016ssl

it’s way over kill for you

however you can get a single ultraium drive and use that.

200gig tape native backup is explainable!

yeah, i guess my NAS has a lot to do with the through put of my tape drive… i guess a 6400 array card and ultra 320 scsi helps